Responsible for preparing documents and correspondences that involves the handling of legal pleadings, briefs and policies. Provide additional administrative support to unit as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
- Prepare Form motions (preclusion, consolidation) subject to attorney review
- Type and serve Motions/Petitions/Orders to show cause/answers prepared by attorneys
- Type and serve Affirmations in opposition and replies prepared by attorneys
- Type and serve orders with notice of settlement
- Type and serve orders with notice of Entry
- Type and serve Memoranda of Law, Third-party summonses and complaints
- Reply to Notices to Admit and Stipulations with cover letter prepared by attorney
- Communicate with adverse counsel, court personnel, process servers, attorneys, claims department staff and others as needed to gather information, compile data and answer routine questions and concerns
- Coordinate with clerical service and process servers for service of legal papers and receipts of orders to show cause
- Provide administrative support to management as needed
- Work in Legal Files and Outlook which can include opening new files, entering mail and updating calendar
- Assist with EPIC claims files and issue expense payments as needed
- Provide follow up with appropriate departments, under direction, to ensure compliance with agreements
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to satisfy needs of internal and external customers which includes quickly and effectively solving customer problems
- Effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own standards and adhere to project deadlines; successfully handle multiple tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to take initiative without being directed to do so
- Successfully work in a team based environment
- Stay abreast on leading-edge technology in his/her technical area of expertise
- Possess knowledge of claim systems, process payments and database/records management skills
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office (Access, Word and Excel)
- High degree of initiative, mature judgment and discretion in handling confidential information
- 3+ years of legal assistance experience with a focus on insurance
- Possess legal assistant supervisory experience
- Possess knowledge of legal terminology and document formats such as reports, briefs, pleadings and motions
- Experience using case management applications (i.e. Legal Files)
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A– (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
• Paid Training
• Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
• Wellness Programs
• Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
• 401k w/ Company Match
• Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
• Employee Discount Program
• Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
• On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
• On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
• Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.
In the event you need assistance or accommodation in completing your online application, please contact NGIC main office by phone at (336) 435-2000.