Soccer Coordinator - Coach Across America
Position Type: service corps member, in the Coach Across America service corps program operated by Up2Us
Position Duration: 1,700 hours within a single year; 40 hours/week commitment preferred
About DC SCORES:
DC SCORES builds neighborhood teams that give kids in need the skills and confidence to succeed on the playing field, in the classroom, and in life. Through an innovative, team-based, school-based model combining poetry/spoken word, soccer, and service-learning delivered through free afterschool programs and summer camps - children get to engage year-round in arts, athletics, and academics daily, alongside their classmates.
DC SCORES is a nonprofit 501(c)3; our current annual budget is approximately $2.3M and we are preparing for steady growth over the next five years to meet growing needs in Washington, DC. We have worked with over 10,000 children since our founding in 1994, and this year are serving more than 3,000 at 70 schools and rec centers across the city in neighborhoods characterized by entrenched poverty. DC SCORES has been replicated in 13 cities and helms a collaborative affiliate network, America SCORES. More info: www.dcscores.org.
About the position:
The Soccer Coordinator is a challenging and rewarding one-year service corps position offering substantial opportunities for creative and professional growth and valuable experience in the realm of education, youth development, and the nonprofit sector. The Soccer Coordinator will provide logistical support for DC SCORES’ soccer leagues and serve as a DC SCORES soccer coach. The position requires significant physical labor (including moving soccer goals and uniforms, carrying boxes of notebooks, and lining fields). The Soccer Coordinator reports directly to the Program Manager, and supports the entire Program Team.
The Soccer Coordinator is a member of the Coach Across America AmeriCorps program operated by Up2Us, and is not paid directly by DC SCORES. AmeriCorps members are not employees of their host organization, the Program or of the federal government. The definition of "participant" in the National and Community Service Act of 1990 as amended applies to AmeriCorps members. As such, "a participant (member) shall not be considered to be an employee of the Program in which the participant (member) is enrolled" ((42 U.S.C. 12511(30) (B)). Moreover, members are not allowed to perform an employee's duties or otherwise displace employees, and therefore generally not eligible to receive unemployment compensation.
The Soccer Coordinator must qualify for and comply with all requirements of Up2Us and the Coach Across America AmeriCorps program, in addition to DC SCORES’ policies and practices. The CAA Soccer Coordinator must complete 1700 hours of service within 12 months; a 40 hour/week is strongly preferred. This position is also eligible to receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award upon completion of their term if all requirements are met. More info about the Education Award can be found at https://kutt.it/edaward.
1) Coach and Lead DC SCORES Programs:
- Hold two regularly scheduled practice sessions per week after school; lead team at all home and away games (coaches are required to accompany youth on all game day bus trips)
- Teach and promote teamwork, leadership, and commitment to student-athletes
- Recruit and retain participants at your program site
- Plan and conduct practices for youth using DC SCORES’ approved curricula
- Distribute, collect, and maintain inventory of DC SCORES issued supplies & equipment
- Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events and DC SCORES’ training
- Perform data collection activities such as directed by DC SCORES staff
- Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served
- During summer, serve as a camp counselor at our camp offerings
2) League Administration & Logistics:
- Attend DC SCORES game days as a staff representative and field marshall, ensuring that DC SCORES values are on display from all coaches, players, and spectators
- Assist in preparation of fields and sites for game days, including lining soccer fields and ensuring that all sites have appropriate goals
3) Inventory Acquisition and Management:
- Assist with ordering and purchasing for all soccer, poetry, service learning, and event needs
- Maintain relationships with local, national, and international vendors
- Distribute all program supplies and equipment, including all practice supplies and uniforms
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate inventory of all equipment distributed and in storage
4) Successfully Complete the AmeriCorps Program: Pursuant to requirements of participation in the Coach Across America program and Up2Us, the CAA Soccer Coordinator must
- Complete the minimum required hours of service and training by last day of coach contract with Up2Us
- Attend the CAA orientation provided by Up2Us (August 1st)
- Complete twice monthly America Learns reflection logs at an 80% level or higher
- Complete timesheets for Up2Us
- Attend a day of service with Up2Us
- Attend/participate in CAA trainings, meetings, and special initiatives put on by Up2Us
- Attend Up2Us’ Coach Training Institute (February 22nd-26th, all expenses paid)
AmeriCorps is open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents.
- Members must be 18 years old
- Members must have, or be working toward a High School diploma, GED or its equivalent
The ideal candidate will:
- be passionate about DC SCORES’ mission and programs
- be a soccer enthusiast with knowledge of the game
- love working with kids
- have excellent people skills, and be comfortable communicating in a diverse environment
- be detail-oriented and excellent at follow-through
- be flexible, inclusive, solutions-oriented, relationship-oriented, and eager to learn
- be a successful team player, and also highly self-driven
- demonstrate excellent judgment and discretion
- be available to work evening and weekend hours from time to time (with notice)
- have a valid US driver’s license and clean driving record. You will be making regular use of company vehicle in and around Washington D.C. for deliveries and site visits.
Experience or coursework in positive youth development, mentoring, or coaching youth sports a plus. Spanish fluency strongly preferred.
DC SCORES is an organization that values teamwork, leadership, and commitment – these traits permeate all aspects of what we do and how we do it. Ultimately, we seek individuals who are fun, driven, passionate about our work, and uphold our values.
Please send cover letter and resume with “Soccer Coordinator - Coach Across America” in the subject line. Resumes accepted until position is filled. Early submission is highly recommended. Target start date: February 21st, 2020.
DC SCORES is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. DC SCORES does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $12.00 to $16.00 /hour
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement