Full Job Description
Coordinates the intake and placement of all admissions and intra-unit transfers in accordance with Patient Access Center guidelines and the Lurie Children’s Admission Policy. Collaborates with physician and nursing staff to prioritize admissions and intra-unit transfers based on medical needs. Communicates and collaborates with all departments as appropriate to maximize efficiency of bed utilization and expedite the throughput process. Serves as a designated leadership representative accountable and responsible for coordinating provision of efficient patient care operations on their assigned shifts.
1. Obtains complete clinical information required for admission including reason for admission, diagnosis, admitting physician and admitting service. Collaborates with the Lurie Children’s Transport Team to assure transfer patients appropriate placement.
2. Identifies and evaluates bed availability in all patient care departments to facilitate effective utilization of inpatient and observation beds.
3. Maintains authority for patient placement and follows priority and clinical guidelines in assigning patients to appropriate units/areas.
4. Determines if unscheduled admissions are inpatient or observation status based on Case Management guidelines.
5. Completes preadmission in Admission, Discharge and Transfer (ADT) system when applicable. Utilizes available technology to facilitate communication of ADT information (text pagers, direct connect, electronic bed-board).
6. Coordinates and communicates admission information with Admitting, the Business office staff and the Emergency Department registrars.
7. Conducts and facilitates bed briefing meeting on day and evening shift for timely communication of ADT information, foster teamwork and promote a global perspective.
8. Maintains prompt, ongoing and effective communication with charge nurses / Clinical Managers from all inpatient area, Emergency Department, PACU, OR, Procedure Suite and the Surgical Observation Unit regarding unit admission, bed availability and assignments, transfers and discharges.
9. Collaborates with Infection Control on isolation decisions for appropriate patient placement. Coordinates with Environmental Services and VIP Transport to prioritize bed cleaning and bed availability.
10. Determines if criteria for Ambulance Diversion in consultation with the Emergency Department charge nurse and attending physician.
11. Proactively looks at prevention of potential problems and issues and is able to effectively resolve conflicts.
12. Continually monitors processes for effectiveness and identifies areas where improvements could be made and shares with team and leadership.
13. Serves as the on-site Administrator for the off shifts, weekends, and holidays.
14. Serves as the representative for Family Support Services during the off- shift and weekend/holiday time.
15. Accounts for decision making regarding allocation of nursing staffing resources; coordination of response to disasters, codes and practice issues.
16. Participates in the management of people resources and organization change initiatives.
17. Monitors and communicates system variances in the institution utilizing a CQI framework.
18. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
1. Current Licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse qualified to practice in the State of Illinois. BSN preferred.
2. Minimum of five years of clinical experience in a pediatric setting. Previous management experience preferred.
3. Pediatric Advanced Life Support Certification required.
4. Demonstrated clinical knowledge of pediatric diagnosis and epidemiological issues that affect patient placement.
5. Excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills required.
6. Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously within strict deadlines.
7. Strong analytical and organizational skills.
8. Demonstrated excellent problem solving skills and ability to work in a collaborative setting.
9. Evidence of ability to improve health care processes and develop effective relationships with a multi-disciplinary team to promote a positive work environment.
10. Ability to effectively communicate with patients/families, physicians, hospital staff and all public services related to emergency patient situations.