Under the direction of the Fitness Experience Director and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Tier 2 Trainer is a fitness professional who work with individuals and groups to help them achieve their fitness/health goals. Trainers instruct their clients through purposefully constructed exercise prescriptions based on each individual’s goals, continually assessing and documenting fitness, body composition and overall progress. Trainers are also expected to provide general health guidance and to direct clients to seek the proper professional help when it is appropriate.
1. Promote the YMCA of Greater Charlotte’s personal training and fitness program
2. Responsible for training a minimum of 5 sessions per week
3. Responsible for working the fitness floor 4-8 hours per week for initial 3 months
4. Responsible for developing and implementing a specialized exercise program for clients based on personal fitness goals
5. Help clients reach their health and fitness goals through appropriate cardiovascular, flexibility, and resistance exercise movements
6. Offer ongoing guidance, support, and motivation
7. Explain safety rules and know how to properly demonstrate movements
8. Build member relations through active promotion and marketing of program services
9. Report any problems or safety concerns to director
10. Perform administrative tasks associated with class attendance/participation
11. Dedication to maintaining personal integrity and your own health and fitness
12. Comply with all departmental safety guidelines to ensure standards are met
13. Stay up to date on fitness and nutrition information through workshops, continuing education classes, fitness events, etc.
14. Participate in continuing education training specific to individual goals and branch objectives.
15. Attend monthly staff meetings, training and functions as part of the staff team
16. Maintain a neat and professional appearance according to departmental uniform guidelines
17. Actively participate in community fundraising campaigns i.e. Annual Giving, etc.
EDUCATION & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
1. All mandatory YMCA of Greater Charlotte trainings must be completed by the required date
2. Must hold but not limited to an ACE Personal Training certification
3. Advanced qualifications are required including but not limited to: -Three (3) years of personal training experience, averaging 5 hours of personal training per week or more, OR a 4 year degree in health or a related field or the equivalent education/experience, OR an advanced certification
4. Passion for helping people achieve their fitness goals
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills
6. Reliable, self-motivated, and self-starter
7. Outgoing personality with a natural ability to build positive and trusting relationships
8. Strong customer service skills and the ability to promote programs and services
9. Enthusiastic and supportive attitude
10. Demonstrates a professional demeanor and genuine committed in providing quality service
11. Willing to work flexible work hours based on clients availability
12. Basic computer skills i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel and the ability to learn YMCA specific applications
1.Ability to work irregular work hours, including nights and weekends on occasion.
2. Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
3. Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
4. Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
5. Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
6. Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
7. Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
8. Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
9. Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
10. Ability to “spot” participants