Plato Learning operates outdoor adventure summer day camps for kids ages 7-15. Now in nine locations spanning from NYC to California, Plato Learning’s mythological storytelling, live action role play, and physical and mentally engaging activities, empowers campers to develop new skills, take risks, solve problems, and ultimately become Heroes.
We are seeking to hire energetic an leader and adventure role model to serve as summer Camp Director at Double-Daring Camp for Girls in Brooklyn: https://doubledaringcamp.com/
Double-Daring Camp for Girls lead girls through an exploration of the stories of women and girls from mythology in our quest to become more bold, more adventurous, and more daring. We play, we create, we challenge, we SLAY.
Serving as the primary point of contact for parents and students, each Camp Director manages a cohort of camp counselors, assistant directors, counselors in training and other camp support staff to ensure the safety and overall well-being of campers. The Camp Director will create a safe, exciting, and engaging environment for all campers and staff that come to Plato Learning for intense hero-training, epic adventures, and unforgettable other-worldly experiences.
Candidates must be able to work part-time from March-May 2020 during the pre-season and full-time during the summer season. All Camp Directors are required to attend a three-day leadership training prior to the start of camp. Please review the following website for more details about the start and end dates for the summer season by camp location: https://camphalfbloodbklyn.com/camp-half-blood/. This is a recurring summer position perfect for teachers, administrators, and coaches. This is a temporary, seasonal position and does not include benefits or paid leave.
- Participate in the state’s department of health and hygiene camp director orientation and where applicable serve as the on-site health director
- Participate in Plato Learning’s leadership, parks, and outdoor protocol training
- Run daily operations and activities, support management and supervision of on-site staff, communicate with parents, and partner with other summer Camp Directors and senior staff to ensure successful implementation of camp each week
- Ensure camper engagement in activities, quests, and other programs through on the ground interaction with campers and camp staff
- Assist Program Directors in structuring and coordinating pre-summer and ongoing training for all staff
- Support pre-summer camp planning and organization, including conceptualizing and implementing camp activities and curricula
- Collaborate with summer Camp Directors at different campsites through company’s communication platforms
- Effectively communicate essential information to parents, community partners, and others
- Oversee check-in and check-out of campers and track camper attendance
- Respond to parent inquiries and concerns in a timely and professional fashion
- Engage in ongoing communication with program leaders/senior leaders
- Monitor the health, social and emotional wellness, and safety of all campers and staff
- Manage consistency and growth in overall program content and structure
- Assist in recruiting, hiring, training, develop, schedule and directs assistant director, quest managers, camp counselors, CITs, and volunteers
- Provide direct supervision to counselors
- Review and evaluate staff performance based on Plato Learning’s performance measurement tools
- Develop strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals
- Coordinate with main office on management of online registration database, as well as staff and parent communication
- Coordinate camp supplies and materials with designated point person for camp logistics
- Ensure all programs promote camper and staff well-being through employing conflict resolution skills and promoting inclusivity and anti-bullying among staff and campers
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Significant experience working with kids and managing/supervising teams in a camp environment
- Strong conflict resolution and problem-solving skills, calm and decisive under pressure, and able to quickly take action to overcome obstacles
- Flexibility to meet changing work needs and demands
- Camper centered and ability to lead with compassion, curiosity, flexibility, and joy
- Fun, creative, and committed to a positive camp experience for campers and staff
- Extremely organized with attention to maintaining an orderly camp environment
- Able to create and maintain effective systems and comply with policies/procedures in a safe, timely, and efficient manner in accordance with Plato Learning’s standards and federal/state policies
- An effective delegator, an assertive and inspiring leader that can get their team excited
- Skilled and experienced at finding creative solutions to problems
- Strong communication skills: An honest, clear, and effective communicator and team-builder
- Knowledge of neurodiverse learning styles to support students with learning differences
- Ability to work in a fast-paced outdoor environment on your feet for most of the day in often hot and humid conditions
- Ability to work collaboratively on a high-functioning team
- Ability to communicate clearly, maturely and compassionately, both internally with staff and externally with campers and families
- Ability to maintain an excellent work ethic, a high level of energy and exceptional enthusiasm all day, every day, for the entire summer season
- Minimum three summer-seasons of experience in a supervisory camp role, or equivalent combination of other education experience with at least one summer season's experience in a supervisory camp role
- Bachelor’s in education or related field required.
- CPR/First Aid certified- trained (re-certification will be provided if current certification expires before Summer 2020)
- Current Driver’s License required
- Pass Federal Background Checks
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter along with two professional references and indicate which camp you are applying to. Please note in your cover letter your experience working with the specific population of campers that will attend the camp that you are applying to.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Hours per week: