The Senior Test Automation Engineer leads the design, implementation, and verification of automated test equipment and testing infrastructure used in the validation of the various Chamberlain products. They are responsible for design and debug of the mechanics, hardware, and software of test equipment and fixturing. The software design will use NI LabView, NI TestStand and other high level languages such as C and C# to ensure that Chamberlain products meet behavioral and performance specifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the design of mechanics, hardware, and software implementation of automated test machines for the verification of the various Chamberlain products.
- Develop tests in NI Labview, NI TestStand, and other high level languages such as C and C# that provide coverage of all significant permutations of product behavior and validate all features.
- Ensure test coverage of new and existing features.
- Specify, qualify, debug, and maintain automated testers.
- Diagnose hardware and software test failures during product testing.
- Work with product teams to plan, design and implement test solutions.
- Work with design engineers to coordinate product releases to test equipment readiness.
- Mentor less experienced engineers and interns on test automation design concepts.
- Ensure effective change control management is implemented on test automation hardware and software.
- Qualify, validate, and establish reliability and reproducibility for the test equipment.
- Advocate for testing, testing best practices, testing methodologies, and discipline
- Keeping abreast of latest testing tools, trends, and methodologies.
A minimum of a BSEE, BSCS, or BSCE is required, however depending on the amount of experience in design and development areas and position guidelines, an equivalent degree in areas such as physics may be acceptable. A BSEET or Associate degree may also be considered depending on experience.
Minimum of seven (7) years of engineering experience with at least five (5) years in software, firmware, or test engineering.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven working experience with textual programming languages such as C, C#, Java, and other high level programming languages.
- Proven working experience with NI Labview, NI TestStand, and various National Instruments equipment for data acquisition and control.
- Proficiency with electronics and mechanical CAD programs.
- Exposure to web technologies, mobile web, and cell phone apps is a plus.
- Extensive hardware debugging and general problem solving skills.
- Substantial experience with various laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, power supplies, function generators, and multi-meters.
- Substantial experience with basic electronics such as microprocessors, motor control, timers, counters, serial communications, memory devices, radios, etc.
- Substantial experience with testing techniques for software and software controlled electromechanical systems.
- Proficiency with computers and software applications such as Excel and MS Word.
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills. Expected to explain, present, and showcase testing concepts concerning product Quality to Engineering teams.
- Exposure to source control tools such as SourceTree, CVS, Subversion, etc. is a plus.
- Exposure to CI tools such as Bamboo, Team City, etc. is a plus.
- Project management experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Expected to explain, present, and showcase testing concepts concerning product Quality to Engineering teams.
- Lean Six Sigma experience and training a plus.
- Desire to learn new technologies and skills as required.
Ability to travel 15%, including international travel.