The Assistant Beekeeper will work with the Lead Beekeeper and Owner year round in the care and maintenance of the 500+ hives owned by Ames Farm. This position requires traveling to and living in Texas for limited periods of time between November and April each season. The Assistant Beekeeper is responsible for all aspects of hive care, honey production, queen rearing and winter preparation.
Reports to: Owner
Pay rate: Salary + benefits. On site home rental available.
Work Hours: Weekly hours agreed upon with Owner, Monday-Saturday. Main work season runs from March to October.
- Assist Beekeeper in maintaining bees, queen rearing, splitting and nuc making, feeding, honey production and honey harvesting
- Ensure safe operations – skid loader, flatbed truck loading, and transporting (driving 1-2 ton mid size trucks)
- Build and maintain beekeeping related equipment
- Maintaining a clean and safe work space
- Maintain farm vehicles checking fluids, keeping tracking of maintenance, etc
- Assist in Honey House as needed
- Able to work well with others and have a positive attitude
Basic Qualifications/Desired Experience:
- 3+ years of beekeeping experience
- High level of carpentry and mechanical skills
- Familiarity with driving 1-2 ton mid size trucks, tying down loads, and hauling a trailer
- Knowledge in safe operation of a skid loader
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs on a daily basis
- Must be able to solve problems, be organized, and manage own schedule independently
- Must have a driver’s license and clean driving record (No DWIs)
- Must not be allergic to bees or have physical limitations
- Prefer candidate who lives in close proximity to our farm in Watertown MN
Job Type: Full-time
- Beekeeping: 3 years (Preferred)
- Drivers License (Preferred)