Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
As a Software Development Manager for Embedded Devices, you will lead your team to design, architect and deliver low level software for our embedded devices. You will engage with technology partners and lead long term development with a focus on architecture, performance, power, and integration. In this position you will lead requirements and roadmap definition, specification development and execution.
· Build a best-in-class engineering team that delivers excellent results through rapid iterations
· Work with product management and cross functional teams to provide technical solutions for desired user experiences.
· Provide hands on technical leadership to the team, including your own code contributions.
· Implement process improvements for both your own and surrounding teams.
· Advise senior and executive management
· Define detailed technical requirements from high level product descriptions and enable your team to do the same.
· Define and drive the necessary activities needed for data driven chipset selection.
· Drive and facilitate innovation within the team
· Manage team budget, headcount projections, recruiting and continuous performance evaluations.
· Monitor, drive and facilitate individual growth of your teams individual contributors
· Work with the hardware team to ensure correct exercising of hardware
· Follow specification, standards developments and technology roadmaps
· Work with the applications and user-space teams to ensure an adequate level of functionality and reporting
· Be able to occasionally travel internationally
- 3+ years technical leadership experience leading cross-functional teams
- Understanding of embedded development constraints and system performance.
- 3+ years of management experience in consumer electronics product development
- 8+ years of software development experience, as a developer or manager
- 5+ years of experience mentoring junior engineers to success.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or similar technical field
- 5+ years of software development experience as a manager
- RTOS/Thread X or other MCU based product development experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A passion for people management and mentorship
- Deep hands-on technical expertise; prior experience as a software developer or software development manager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Ability to handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time
- Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance
- MS, Ph.D. in Computer Science or a relevant technical discipline (or equivalent experience)
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation