The Red Hand Group LLC is seeking an experienced and skilledSystems Engineer (SE) capable of defining, designing, and engineering system architecturesfor new and existing IT systems. This position will fulfill the requirements ona Federal contract in South East, Washington, DC (Navy Yard). This is afull-time position working with a group of Senior Systems Engineers primarilyconducting project-based work to design and implement infrastructure,application, and cloud-based business solutions. Red Hand is seeking awell-rounded and passionate IT professional that can work independently andwithin project teams that is forward looking and has a wide range of IT systemsexperience.
The SE will be reporting directly to the Operations Manager.The SE will focus on project related business solutions, tasks/projects relatedto the Problem Management process, and change requests related to theConfiguration/Change Management process, as well as Tier III operationalsupport to escalated incident tickets. The SE will work with team members fromthe Operations, Server, PMO, Application Development, and Business Intelligencefunctional areas. The functional areas include a internal and cloud systemsenvironment consisting of a 550+ server farm, a web environment consisting of20+ websites, an application environment consisting of 40+ applications, and aPMO that has averages of 20+ ongoing projects/major tasks.
Infrastructure,Application Systems, and Cloud Projects
· Carry out project activities related to upgrades, newimplementations, optimization, research and development (R&D), maintenanceand long-term support of virtual environments, application systems, websystems, storage systems, hardware, servers, and cloud environments.
· Work with Project Managers to identify requirements, workbreakdown structures, activity lists, activity estimates, project schedules,and technical documentation per PMO requirements.
· Design and develop initial prototypes/proofs ofconcept and validate them for technical design and performance.
· Work with cloud vendors (Azure and AWS) toengineer new solutions and migrate legacy systems to the cloud.
· Be responsive and decisive on adjusting productarchitecture as customer requirements, market conditions and technology evolves.
· Identify and articulate new technology, designmethodology and best practices.
· Provide technical guidance and input to otherteam members as needed.
· Conduct capacity planning and disaster recovery activitiesfor each project.
· Conduct Alternative and Feasibility Analysis studies for selectedprojects.
· Execute assigned activities per project schedule and providedaily updates within MS Project Server.
· Work with vendors and support services for productinstallations.
· Work with assigned stakeholders for user acceptance testingand other project related tasks.
· Work with Project Managers on the transition of engineeredsolutions to the Operations Team.
· Provide training to System Administrators, Developers,Engineers, and users when required.
· Produce all technical documents identified in the projectrequirements phase.
Configuration & Change Management
· Participate as a member of the EngineeringReview Board (ERB) responsible for analyzing and making recommendations toRequests for Changes (RFC) submitted through the Change Management process;coordinating responses to RFCs for impacts with internal and externalstakeholders.
· Participate as a member of the Change ControlBoard (CCB) responsible for interpreting technical jargon, strategies/plans,impacts, and expectations to the Federal CCB members to gain approval for RFCs.
· Develop test, release, and roll-back plans forassigned RFCs.
· Work with the Configuration Manager and otherfunctional area team members to help maintain the baseline documentation forsystems and applications to ensure accuracy and consistency; including systemdesigns, network topologies, rack layout designs, etc.
· Participate in routine maintenance activitieswhere assigned.
· Maintain test labs
· Conduct testing of environment changes in testlabs and roll-out changes per procedures under the Release Management process.
· Participate as a member of the ProblemManagement Team responsible for identifying trends of problems that are to bepermanently resolved and removed from the environment.
· Conduct activities per the Problem Managementprocess to resolve recurring problems that have been escalated from theIncident Management process.
· Conduct analysis of root cause and identify trendsfor Known Errors and coordinate actions to fix the error.
· Work with the Senior Systems Engineering Managerand the Operations Manager to produce RFCs, test plans, documentation, andtransition plans related to system changes that are a result of the ProblemManagement process.
· Work with Project Managers assigned to ProblemManagement tickets that have turned into PMO projects due to the complexity, size,and scope of the change.
· Provide Tier III operational support responsiblefor the troubleshooting, diagnosis, and resolution for incidents escalated bySystems Administrators and/or Application Developers as per the Incident andService Level Management processes.
· Provide support to Disaster Recovery activitiesto include Tier III operational support for system/application failover, DRplanning, and DR documentation.
· Minimum Four (4) years of experience as aSystems Engineer providing support for engineering projects and ongoingoperational support.
· Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year collegeor university. Additional years of experience in lieu of a degree may beconsidered.
· In depth proficiency in server and computer systemsincluding, network administration, OS installation, software support, database administration,system installation/integration.
· Strong understanding in the design andmaintenance of the Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 platform.
· Familiarity with Red Hat Linux Administration (desired).
· Strong understanding in the design and maintenance of theVMware vSphere ESXi 6.0; to include VDP, HA, vRealize, patching, upgrades andtroubleshooting VMware related issues.
· Understanding of server, application and networksecurity hardening and validation techniques.
· Familiarity with web products and servers suchas web servers, Internet performance tools, web search engines, directoryservices, switching technologies, DNS services and Internet security services.
· Strong working knowledge of IP networking,VPN's, DNS, load balancing and firewalls
· Experience and knowledge working with Azure andAWS to engineer new solutions and migrate legacy systems to the cloud (desired).
· Experience deploying and managing SANtechnologies to include NAS, ISCSI and Fiber channel attached SANs (desired).
· DB experience with MS SQL Server, MySQL, and Oracle (desired).
· Strong knowledge in clustering, load balancing, and highavailability strategies and tools.
· Able to work independently on a given task withlittle to minimum assistance and within the framework of a team.
· Able to troubleshoot systems design issues andprovide a technical detailed resolution.
· Experience supporting software development andapplication hosting environments.
· Understand project management, SystemsDevelopment Life Cycle (SDLC), and agile methodologies and can integratestandard terminology into project deliverables.
· Must be customer service oriented and fullycognizant of the user experience.
· Excellent oral and written communication skillsand ability to clearly articulate customer technical needs into technicalspecifications.
· Must be able to communicate at all levels of thefederal organization.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamicenvironment.
· Must be a team player and can work within alllevels of a project team.
· Ability to interface with all levels of thegovernment client project team.
· Excellent time management, scheduling, andorganizational skills.
· Ability to work well independently as well asfollow detailed instructions for completing task.
· Applicants must be fully authorized to work inthe U.S. without sponsorship.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $120,000.00 to $130,000.00 /year
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is: