Baltimore Crisis Response continues our Hotline Services and is looking for a Full Time Overnight Hotline Counselors:
Shift Available: Sunday through Thursday, 11pm till 7am
Job Scope: The primary goal of the Lifeline Hotline Counselor is to provide appropriate services to the caller. These services may include supportive counseling, information and referrals, crisis intervention counseling, suicide prevention and intake screening of callers to the Mobile Crisis Team and other community services. This position reports to the Director of Hotline Services. To support these goals, the following objectives and responsibilities must be achieved:
- Primarily responsibility is to answer National Suicide Lifeline calls and if necessary coordinate an active rescue police and other emergency personnel statewide, across the country and internationally
- Have the ability to work in a highly stressful environment that deals with frequent suicidal callers
- Assesses each caller’s presenting problem, support systems, coping skills and level of emergency in order to determine appropriate intervention. These assessments are also used to triage crisis calls
- Read and review monthly the BCRI/Lifeline Standard Operations Policy Manual and document that you have an understanding of the policies
- Uses counseling skills, active listening and empathy to establish rapport with a wide range of callers
- Continues to seek knowledge related to mental illness and addiction, by using appropriate reading material, internet, etc.
- Intervenes appropriately with callers who present imminent danger to self or others, including assessing lethality and taking necessary steps to intervene. Interventions may include, but are not limited to appropriate referral to Mobile Crisis Team, tracing calls, sending police/rescue, arranging follow-up, advocating for client, or providing other referrals
- Using the policy, procedure and admission criteria of BCRI effectively to screen clients for referral to most appropriate level of services based on caller need and available services
- Performs the function of liaison between the treatment components, organizing and relaying information, as necessary
- Due to the nature of this work, flexibility and reliability are essential
- Is familiar with resources and provides information and referral to callers as needed.
- Completes all documentation accurately, thoroughly and in accordance with BCRI policy and procedures, including telephone intervention forms
- Completes all shift-to-shift communication forms, for effective transfer of information between shifts
- Actively participates in the organization’s professional development program which includes: regular supervision, regular Hotline meetings, clinical training seminars, professional development seminars and agency sponsored attendance at outside educational activities
- Maintains an effective working relationship with other staff and human services organizations, by accessing appropriate channels of communication to resolve conflicts and contributing to the crisis programs through consistent teamwork and flexibility
- Maintains a high level of professionalism with all callers, staff, and outside agencies
- Other duties as requested and required
Educational Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in related field
Experience: One year of community mental health experience highly desired
Physical Demands: Some walking, telephonic work, standing, climbing stairs and sitting required. Moderate Lifting up to 20lbs.
Working Conditions: Potential exposure to highly emotional and stressful situations.
Hazards: Potential exposure to highly charged stressful and emotional situations; potential exposure to aggressive encounters.
Full Time Benefits: Vacation Leave, Personal Leave, Tuition Reimbursement, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Medical, Dental and Vision and Company Paid Long Term Disability and Life Insurance.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 per hour
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Referral Program
- Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance
- Community Mental Health: 1 year (Preferred)
- Please indicate your full time availability. The shifts needed are Sunday through Thursday, 11pm to 7am.
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment