The position is responsible for development, implementation and continuous improvement of packaging and fulfillment operations solutions. Responsibilities will also include development of packaging solutions that improve material, labor, and logistics cost. Development of project plans and implementation timing that lead to continuous improvement and automation of secondary operations.
Qualifications include Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in engineering or related field; knowledge of packaging design and testing for use the parcel shipping environment, pick, pack, and ship fulfillment operations for e-commerce industry, manufacturing processes. Must have good leadership, project planning, organization, communication and problem-solving skills. Two plus (2+) years of engineering experience, experience using AutoCAD software (or similar software) and Microsoft office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Applies knowledge of technical concepts and theories used by professionals in developing a packaging and fulfillment/production operations roadmap.
- May provide management direction on complex technical issues.
- Identify, budget, and purchase capital equipment needed to meet scheduled releases of packaging revisions as necessary.
- Evaluate new product and packaging designs for fit and function.
- Create manufacturing and test processes and procedures.
- Create data collection schemes.
- Develop / refine business processes.
- Facilitate completion of prototype and pilot production units to meet schedule requirements.
- Manage all testing for parcel delivery requirements as well as environmental chamber testing
- Background in food, pharmaceutical, or environmentally controlled shipping requirements a plus
- Communicate concisely with peers and management (Status, issues, ideas for improvement).
- Evaluate and analyze data acquired during system and module test using programs such as MS Excel and MS Access, make recommendations for design and process modifications based on analysis.
- Work on assignments that are generally not routine in nature where ability to recognize deviation from accepted practice is expected.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with minimal direction, and adapts easily to change.
- Meets deadlines.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Solid understanding of Packaging designs and their use in pick, pack and parcel shipping environments.
- Solid understanding of statistical methods and process control.
- Solid understanding of a variety of manufacturing and fulfillment processes.
- Ability to evaluate and analyze data using AutoCAD and Microsoft Office programs.
- Strong communication skills at all levels of the company - Technicians to Management.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Able to work with personnel from various departments - Manufacturing, Engineering, Tech Development, Quality, Procurement, Human Resources and so forth.
- Ability to recommend (using data) and implement sound solutions and strategies in a fast paced environment where priorities change often.
- Ability to solve difficult problems and separate symptoms from root causes.
- Able to create project schedule plans with MS Project, and complete tasks on schedule.
- Able to create and analyze Bills-of-Materials.
- Able to learn and apply new information or skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in engineering or science is preferred (Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering; Optical Science; Physics).
- 2+ years of experience with packaging design and implementation in a parcel shipping environment.
- Experience with in high volume pick, pack and ship environments
- Experience with AutoCAD
LANGUAGE and COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Occasional travel could be required.
- May spend extended periods of time at a computer workstation.