Founded in 1925, ATCC is a non-profit organization with a mission to acquire, authenticate, preserve, develop, standardize, and distribute biological materials and information for the advancement and application of scientific knowledge.
The Manager, Purchasing will lead and manage personnel within the procurement department. The Manager will develop and manage the processes of procurement of materials and services in accordance with ATCC’s corporate policies and procedures at the best possible negotiated terms for price, quality, and delivery. The Purchasing Manager develops the policies, processes, and systems required to serve ATCC’s needs. Ensures a robust and reliable supply chain for purchased material and contracted services; is responsible for procurement operations requiring advanced vendor relationship management skills and the ability to interface with all levels of management and cross-functional teams throughout the company’s operations. The incumbent ensures that department personnel are adequately trained, resourced, equipped and focused to accomplish their goals and objectives.
Leads negotiations with suppliers to obtain cost-effective, long-term contracts that develop a secure and cost-effective supply chain. Works with and supports internal customers to identify vendors/suppliers that can deliver goods or services according to ATCC defined specifications. Implement, leads, maintains, and enforces corporate procurement policies that enable ATCC to get the best value for its purchasing dollar. Said policies are to be woven together with processes and systems to promote control and efficiency in the procurement of supplies and services.
Maintain and updates procurement planning parameters, within the ERP system, as needed to meet business objectives. Implements and manages with KPI’s and metrics to track performance that meet ATCC business goals.
Responsible for training ATCC staff on procurement guidelines, reviewing and responding to MRP signals for purchase and equipping them to achieve a high degree of compliance and sensitizing them to the value of various procedures and controls.
Develops and maintains relationships with vendors and source new vendors as needed. When necessary, visits key suppliers’ locations, continuing to improve communications and stress the ongoing need for continuous improvement of supplier performance. Perform risk management regarding supply contract and agreements. Actively manages and measures ATCC compliance with procurement requirements for Federal and State contracts and programs including SBA and Disadvantaged Supplier categories.
Develops, maintains and enforces all company policies and SOP’s governing operations within the area under his/her supervision.
Manages and controls inventory and costs of procured items to meet production and business objectives. Negotiate with external vendors to secure the most advantageous terms.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Has authority either directly or through recommendations for employment decisions to include selection, training, performance evaluations, counseling, promotions and terminations.
Performs other ancillary duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Operations, Logistics or similar discipline required.
- Master’s Degree a plus.
- A minimum of eight (8) years previous experience in purchasing, sourcing, manufacturing planning, or a combination required.
- Experience must include at least three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Must be proficient in purchasing management and contract negotiations.
- In-depth experience working with a companywide enterprise based system (ERP) is required.
- Experience development operational performance metrics and meeting performance requirements is required.
- Lean training a plus.
- APICS or ISM certification strongly desired.
- Knowledge of CSPR a plus.
ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in MRP and Purchasing modules of ERP systems
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal communication, analytics and negotiating skills required
- knowledge of sourcing and procurement techniques as well as a dexterity in ‘reading” the market
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing