Premise is growing! We're hiring an Intern Data Scientist Intern in our Washington, DC office. You will collaborate with diverse teams of data scientists and mobile and backend developers. This position will be involved in data collection, data cleaning, data integrity, general data munging/wrangling, and data integrity. Interns will also have the opportunity to engage in python scripting, machine learning, computer vision, cartography, and geospatial data enrichment to enable the rich attributes of Premise data. This position will have an impact on both internal and customer facing platforms.
Premise is a worldwide network and predictive analytics platform bringing visibility to the world's hardest-to-see places. We enable global decision-makers to move faster and make smarter decisions by employing local, on-the-ground contributors to observe and collect real-time data. Our current clients include The United States Agency for International Development (USAID), The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and The United States Department of State (DOS). A $66M Series C Venture Capital organization, we are backed by Google Ventures, SocialCapital, and Andreessen Horowitz, among others. Learn more about us at www.premise.com ( http://www.premise.com/ ); or follow us at @premisedata ( https://www.instagram.com/premisedata/ )
We are a passionate, tight-knit, super-driven team that moves fast, appreciates candor, and deeply values the diversity of our backgrounds. Our diversity mirrors the global nature of our work: we've lived in 30 countries, speak 14 languages, and believe in the value of life experience that an unconventional background inherently brings. What unites us is our innate curiosity and collective ambition to build technology that ultimately has a measurable human impact.
What you get to do:
Your background likely includes:
- You will work to validate and improve automated algorithms which turn raw data with geospatial and text attributes into meaningful information. This data is then visualized on web-based maps that can be easily digested by a non-technical person.
- Aggregate multiple proprietary and open-source datasets that will be inputs to train computer vision algorithms.
- Utilize Python and packages to write code towards data wrangling, enrichment, analysis, and visualization of spatial data.
- Identify and leverage opportunities to continually improve data quality, systems, processes, and standards.
- You will collaborate with other data scientists, analysts, product managers, operations, and other departments to ensure products and technology meets internal standards.
- Internship dates: If college student 16 December 2019 to 17 January 2020. If high school student 23 December 2019 to 3 January 2020.
As an internship program, we are open to shaping the position around the interests and skills of the candidate selected. While we would love for the candidate to have some experience described below, we are open to mentoring individuals possessing drive, maturity and open-mindedness:
- Interest in Data Science, Geographical Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent work experience & analytical skills.
- Experience with data analysis, quality, cleaning, and extraction/validation tools.
- Experience with Python and associated packages for processing data.
- Entry level SQL writing skills (Google BigQuery a plus but not necessary).
- Experience with visualization tools like Periscope Data, Data Studio, Tableau, ArcGIS a plus.
- Passion for learning and sharing knowledge with the team around you.
Premise Data Wins Prestigious Urban Innovation Challenge from Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance ( https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/premise-data-wins-prestigious-urban-innovation-challenge-from-gavi-the-vaccine-alliance-300899036.html )
Thomson Reuters Foundation:
Armed with tech tools, Colombian cities combat mosquito-borne diseases ( http://news.trust.org/item/20190916103513-aenbq )
Armed with smartphones, Colombians are taking on the local mozzies ( https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2019/07/06/armed-with-smartphones-colombians-are-taking-on-the-local-mozzies )
Premise raises $50 million to outsource the collection of economic data ( https://techcrunch.com/2015/09/24/premise-raises-50-million-to-outsource-the-collection-of-economic-data/ )
The New York Times:
Lawrence Summers to join Board of hyperdata startup ( http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/16/business/dealbook/lawrence-summers-to-join-board-of-hyperdata-start-up.html?_r=1 )
Introducing the 'Trillion dollar business that's waiting to be destructed' ( https://www.buzzfeed.com/farahhalime/premise-economic-data#.xmBZXxKKA )
These smartphone photos can help shape national policy ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/03/30/these-smartphone-photos-can-help-shape-national-policy/ )
Photos are creating a real-time food index ( http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2016/04/features/premise-app-food-tracking-brazil-philippines )