Organization: The African Advocacy Network (AAN)
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Employment Type: Part-time position.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, three references, and a writing sample with the subject “Immigration Paralegal/Legal Program Assistant”. Position is open until filled.
About the Organization: Founded in 2009, the African Advocacy Network (AAN) is a community-based organization that serves one of the fastest growing groups of immigrants, African and Afro-Caribbean immigrants, with immigration legal and social services as well as language assistance throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. AAN represents clients before USCIS, the San Francisco Asylum Office, Immigration Court, and USDOJ.
AAN’s mission is to be an outstanding social and immigration legal service provider through the delivery of quality services in a culturally and linguistically supportive environment. At the community level, AAN aims to tap into the strength and resilience of African and Afro-Caribbean immigrants and refugees in the Bay Area and equip them with the tools they need to lead independent, productive, and dignified lives.
AAN is seeking a certified or experienced immigration paralegal/Legal Program Assistant to support the organization legal team. The ideal candidate must have strong analytical, organizational, and communications skills along with the ability to balance multiple projects and deadlines. Additionally, the candidate should have experience working in an immigration office and be conversant with standard office computer proficiency in programs including Word, Excel, and Google docs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enter and maintain data in an immigration case management system and organize and maintain immigration files.
- Maintain hard copy files and documents as required to support all immigration activity on behalf of clients and ensure that clients are kept apprised of the progress of their cases.
- Work directly with Attorneys/DOJ Accredited Representatives and other team members to manage caseload from intake through processing and filing.
- Assist in responding to immigration inquiries in a timely manner.
- Engage in extensive client interaction including but not limited to, answering phones, greeting clients, and initial consultations.
- Assist in the preparation and filing of affirmative and defensive asylum cases, work permits, U-Visas, TPS, adjustment of status, citizenship, and family-based petitions along with drafting declarations, waivers, motions, and briefs.
- Conduct legal and country conditions research.
- Participate in Know Your Rights information sessions for our communities.
- Assist in the development of information materials on immigration law.
- Attend networking/collaborative meetings.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Must be able to prioritize, manage, and process multiple cases within strict timelines in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment under moderate supervision and direction.
- Ability to multi-task while practicing attention to detail and accuracy in drafting affidavits and declarations.
- Ability to adapt to the organization's culture, work in a team environment and display professionalism towards your clients and co-workers.
- Excellent English language verbal and written skills, Spanish or other African language skills highly desired.
- Previous paralegal experience in the immigration field.
- As a growing organization, we try to recruit candidates who have a desire to help AAN’s growth and development.
- We are a group committed to collective power and we believe in the dignity of labor. As a new member of AAN, you will be part of our collective effort aimed at addressing core and social justice issues impacting marginalized communities.
TheAfrican Advocacy Network (AAN) is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity or national origin, creed or religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age or any other background that makes us diverse.
Job Type: Part-time
- Spanish or other African language