NBCUniversal and Universal Brand Development Overview:
Universal Brand Development globally drives expansion of the company's intellectual properties, franchises, characters and stories through innovative physical and digital products, content, and consumer experiences. Along with franchise brand management, Universal Brand Development's core businesses include Consumer Products and Games and Digital Platforms based on the company's extensive portfolio of intellectual properties created by Universal Pictures, Illumination and DreamWorks Animation. Universal Brand Development is part of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. www.universalbranddevelopment.com.
Universal Brand Development’s Retail Management team drives the NA vision and strategic development and execution of our retail strategy and marketing plans to cultivate brand growth and drive revenue throughout retail. We are a team of makers, thinkers, leaders and rebels whose passion is to ignite ideas every day, in a culture that celebrates diversity and inclusivity, creativity, fresh thinking, executional excellence and each other.
The Director, Retail Development will identify opportunities for Universal Pictures theatrical releases and NBC Television programs brands within the Fashion & Home Lines of Business at Walmart (both US and Canada). This Director role works with Vice President, Retail Development to strategize, develop, pitch, secure, and implement merchandise and marketing programs that deliver incremental product placement at retail.
This role is based in Rogers, Arkansas.
Develops effective relationships with retailer personnel across all relevant departments in order to accomplish job requirements. Manages the overall retail relationship with buyers at Walmart, with frequent communication both in-person, virtually and electronically.
Serves as the retail expert to licensees and Universal partner teams, and, as requested, provide information, direction, and consultation with the goal to drive incremental sales across Universal licensed product categories.
Delivers against financial goals and/or targets across Universal licensed product.
Monitors, observes, researches and recommends action plans to address dynamic business shifts including sales trends, competitive landscape, new retail development and categorical changes. Be the Walmart “expert” for Universal Brand Development. Keep up to date on strategies, organizational structure and business objectives
Develops annual retailer-specific business plans for your lines of business, strategies, and revenue objectives based on retail and gap analysis, Universal retail and category strategies, and retailer’s corporate initiatives. Business plans should include objectives, retail strategies and programs that build on successes, address weaknesses and capitalize on opportunities to drive incremental sales of Universal merchandise. In addition to annual plans, develop opportunistic sales strategies in collaboration with licensees and Walmart buyers.
Negotiates and secure retailer agreement to implement retail specific programs that drive incremental product placement in line with Universal program investment. Work with appropriate retail personnel (e.g., buyers, marketing, planners, product development, etc) to develop, plan, and effectively implement programs at retail.
Responsible for organizing meetings and film/TV/Property presentations with Walmart and collaborating with NAM Marketing and/or Franchise Strategy on pitch materials.
Analyzes retail sales, develops and updates retailer budget. Monitors expenses & maintains expenditures under company budget.
Develops retail timing & action calendar that directs internal and external teams to meet deadlines and streamline processes
Manages promotional activations, develop merchandising features and marketing campaigns that drive product sell-through in partnership with Retail Marketing Walmart lead.
Summarize retailer feedback (e.g., meeting recaps, market conditions, product performance, Universal strategies/programs, licensee performance) to appropriate stakeholders.
Completes additional projects and assignments or manage additional retailer responsibility as assigned or as needed within the provided timeline.
Partners with licensees and promotional partners with sell in of products at Walmart for all relevant NBCUniversal properties; Regularly reviews performance of existing licensees and makes recommendations based on buyer feedback and first-hand experience.
- 8+ years of sales and/or marketing experience in the Toys, Softlines, Hardlines, Consumables, Health & Beauty, or eCommerce industries.
- Strong sales skills: selling principles and marketing principles.
- Strong knowledge of eCommerce best practices.
- Strong relationship building, influencing skills.
- Strong presentation skills: comfortable presenting to small and large groups.
- Strong strategic, analytical and planning skills.
- Ability to engage with retail buyers, marketers, and executives.
- Deep knowledge of retail business including retail marketing tactics, promotional partners/packaged goods, home entertainment, and consumer products.
- Strong pitching and negotiating skills with the demonstrated ability to close large deals.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively and consistently with supervisor, Universal Brand Development colleagues, and cross-divisional stakeholders.
- Open to additional projects or account responsibility as needed.
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered
- Must be willing submit to a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- Must be willing and able to travel, sometimes on short notice.
- Must be willing and able to work at the Rogers, AR office location
- Creative thinker
- Personable and outgoing personality
- Proactive and resourceful
- Understanding of Walmart business
UBD Consumer Products
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.