Questions regarding the application process, this job posting or any other postings with the SCDC should be directed to:
Recruiting and Employment Services
- Under direct supervision of the Shift Sergeant, provides direction and instruction to inmates and officers in a program of discipline, safety, security, and rehabilitation of inmates in a maximum security facility.
- Assists Sergeant II in evaluating officer performance.
- Provides direct supervision to subordinate officers.
- Reviews incident reports written by officers.
- Instructs and counsels officers concerning duty requirements.
- Investigates inmate complaints and takes appropriate action.
- Instructs and counsels inmates as required.
- Monitors inmate movements within the institution.
- Performs essential and marginal duties of an Officer II.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by the shift supervisor.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
State of South Carolina minimum requirements:
A high school diploma and experience in Correctional, Security, or Police work. (Or an acceptable equivalency as approved by the Division of State Human Resources).
SCDC minimum requirements:
Eighteen months of experience in Correctional Security or Police work.
Must successfully complete basic certification training at the SCDC Training Academy within Six months of entry into the position.
This position is recruited through NEOGOV only; Candidates must apply on-line via this website to be considered for this position.
The South Carolina Department of Corrections is committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from employment. Please complete the state application to include all current and previous work history and education. A resume will not be accepted nor reviewed to be determined if an applicant has met the qualifications for the position.