Media and Online Services Specialist
The George Mason University Libraries Access Services Team is looking for an enthusiastic, experienced, and service-oriented individual to support the operations of the University Libraries as a Media and Online Services Specialist.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position is responsible for providing general and in-depth assistance to patrons related to the media collection and audiovisual equipment; overseeing media screening requests, media conversions, and clipping for preservation and instructor use; providing media and instructional support to Mason Online courses and programs; providing courteous customer service to patrons at the Gateway and Fenwick Library’s Service Desks; answering informational and basic reference questions.
Applicants must have the following:
The following education and/or skill sets are preferred:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent significant library experience that provides candidate with basic understanding of academic library functions
- Proficiency with information sources (print and electronic), automated library systems, online library catalogs, electronic databases, and web resources
- Demonstrated expertise with analog and digital audio-visual media including knowledge of formats, conversion techniques, and basic collection management principles
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer hardware, course management software, web authoring tools, and multimedia creation tools
- Demonstrated experience working with office productivity software (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.) and audiovisual equipment and multimedia software
- Aptitude for accurate and detail-oriented work
- Solid organizational skills, including ability to manage competing priorities, meet deadlines, and exercise good judgment
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) for providing customer service in a diverse, academic environment and for interacting with library staff and vendors
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, production- and service- oriented environment.
- Ability to work effectively and courteously with multicultural populations and varying education levels
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
- Physical ability to lift materials, including mail packages (up to 40 pounds) and push loaded book trucks.
- Significant experience working in an academic library
- Experience providing support to online users
- Instructional and/or training experience
- Experience working in Blackboard
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
For Full Consideration, Apply by: