At Houston Methodist, the Research Contract Analyst position is responsible for various duties, which include contract review and negotiation, and analysis of contracts submitted to the Houston Methodist Research Institute (HMRI) Office of Research Contracts. The Research Contract Analyst is responsible for reviewing various types of agreements which include but are not limited to, clinical trial agreements, basic and translational sponsored research agreements, expanded access letters of agreement, collaboration agreements, data use agreements, consulting agreements, professional services agreements, and confidentiality agreements , for research and services sponsored by industry, non-profit, and academic sponsors.
Please note that this position is a remote position for Texas residents only.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Partner with study staff, research administration and other internal partners to draft, negotiate, and finalize contracts and ensure investigator and institutional needs are met. This includes maintaining the highest level of responsiveness and service while communicating contract status updates to investigator and sponsor inquiries on pending agreements. (EF)
- Partner collaboratively with Houston Methodist General Counsel, Risk Management, and all areas of HMRI Finance to ensure compliance with institutional policies.
- Serve as the primary interface with industry sponsors in the negotiation processes and correspondence. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Oversees a portfolio of contracts related to research on behalf of Houston Methodist Research Institute. Drafts, reviews, negotiates, and finalizes research related agreements (EF),
- Consult with study staff, investigators, and administration as necessary to understand the nature of projects and relationships to identify appropriate agreement terms and conditions. (EF)
- Maintains thorough documentation in an efficient and organized manner to facilitate effective knowledge transfer. (EF)
- Maintains progress notes in the Methodist Online Research Technology Initiative (MORTI) system for all contracts in a timely manner and diligently updates contract statues in MORTI for tracking purposes. (EF)
- Provides management, department, and Principal Investigator (PI) with status updates on assigned agreements, agreement negotiations and special projects in a timely manner as requested. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Ensure regulatory compliance by monitoring that safety committee approvals are in place; namely Institutional Review Board (IRB), and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee approvals (IACUC). (EF)
- Ensure compliance with internal policies, agency guidelines, applicable laws, and regulations (including export control). (EF)
- Ensure that language related to publication, confidentiality, intellectual property, insurance indemnification and subject injury reimbursement are compliant with institutional guidelines and policies. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Review and negotiate favorable payment terms in research agreements which include ensuring compliance with institutional policies and federal regulations, institutional overhead and fee requirements and internal budgets for clinical trials. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Provide feedback on errors or issues with MORTI system. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. (EF)
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelors degree in finance accounting. or related field
o Juris Doctor preferred.
o One year experience in a legal position, (I.e. paralegal or attorney or in a position negotiating contracts for an academic research institute, hospital, sponsor, or contract research organization (CRO))
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to maintain positive rapport with personnel at all levels and in all situations.
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities.
o Ability to work with difficult people and in difficult situations.
o Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and to adjust to new requirements.
o Ability to understand contractual issues, relevant contract law and health care policy within clearly defined parameters in accordance with institution policies, federal regulations, and professional ethics.
o Exhibits a comprehensive understanding of HM interests regarding specific agreements
o Exhibits the strong ability to assess legal risk within the language of a contract, and the ability to provide alternative mitigating language as a means to resolution.
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
\*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
\*\*Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: \_none\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_
Houston Methodist Academic Institute was formed to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The Research Institute was created in 2004 to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000-square-foot building dedicated to research and clinical trials, the Academic Institute houses over 2,110 credentialed researchers conducting 1,387 ongoing clinical protocols.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $57,470.40 - $74,734.40 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Houston, TX 77030: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location