The Development department is seeking a Major Gifts Officer, a newly created position to complete a highly-motivated team. There is much opportunity for an entrepreneurial fundraiser to develop a strong major gifts portfolio that will support the various missions of the AKC CARES affiliate organizations.
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, Development, the Major Gifts Officer will lead fundraising efforts for $50,000+ donors. Working collaboratively with organizational leadership, to include the charitable affiliate Boards of Directors, the Major Gifts Officer will identify, prioritize, research, cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with leads, prospects and existing donors to achieve an annual revenue goal. As this is a new position, establishing a foundational portfolio is expected. The ideal candidate would demonstrate an understanding of the AKC’s existing constituency AND those outside of the dog sporting world who may be interested in advancing the mission of responsible dog ownership.
- Build and maintain a major gifts pipeline
- Research, develop and manage portfolio of major level donors, using moves management strategies to upgrade and bring in incremental gifts
- Initiate contact and cultivate relationships with major gift prospects
- Strategize on level of gift and best approach for solicitation
- Identify key staff and/or Board members to be involved in cultivation and solicitations
- Close solicitations and provide all necessary follow-up and stewardship activity
- Solicit support primarily in-person when possible, or written communications
- Prepare all correspondence, proposals, functional budgets, briefs, gift reports and records
- Assists in creation of the annual development plan, providing annual major gift projections and realization assessments
- Coordinates and hosts site visits and cultivation events with local, regional and national prospects/donors
- Comfortable presenting to a room full of people and meeting one to one with a major donor
- Maintains portfolio records and tracs all donor-related activity in Veevart (Salesforce) on a regular basis
- Works in partnership with Development staff to accomplish department goals
- Develops and maintains relationships with various program or specialty function staff
- Performs other prospect and donor-related activities as the major gift program evolves
- Contribute to fundraising activities that strengthen alliances with current donors and ensure that they are informed, acknowledged, and involved
- Remain aware of shared opportunities for dual asks, donor cultivation and engagement in concert with colleagues in other fundraising capacities
- Your relationship building skills and comfort with soliciting large gifts will lead you to meet and exceed annual revenue targets to help the Development department achieve their overall fundraising goals for AKC CARES affiliates
- Strong belief in the AKC’s mission and work of the charitable affiliates
- Help nurture a culture of philanthropy at the AKC
- Experience with capital campaign donors is helpful, but not required
- Experience with planned giving is helpful, but not required
Education/Work Experience Bachelor's degree with 4 to 7 years Nonprofit progressive major donor experience, ultimately cultivating and soliciting donors for 5 to 7-figure gifts.
Bachelors or better.
4 to 7 years experience non-profit donor progressive major donor experience