Position: We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill a full-time Legal Secretary/Legal Assistant position. The duties may include answering phones, filing and mail room duties, and assisting three busy attorneys. Legal experience REQUIRED.
Job Type: Full-Time, 40 hours/week
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Compensation: Hourly, based upon experience
Prior Experience: Experience in a law office/setting required
- Provide administrative support for attorneys and paralegal in a busy and successful law practice.
- Preparation of pleadings, discovery, trial preparation and trial assistance.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and efficient in Adobe Acrobat.
- Answer, screen, prioritize and place telephone calls appropriately.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with court personnel, clients, vendors, attorneys, paralegals.
- TimeSlips experience is a plus.
- Promptly and accurately calendar all deadlines in multiple jurisdictions.
- Make meeting arrangements, preparations.
- Make travel arrangements, including flight, car and hotel reservations.
- Keeps immediate supervisor well-informed of activities, results of efforts and problems identified.
- Respects confidentiality in discussing participant/consumer, staff, volunteers and organizational matters.
- Adept at using all features of the telephone system and voice mail.
- Set up and maintain integrity of file management systems, including classifying, arranging, retrieving and storing information in both electronic and hard copy formats.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of offices, conference rooms.
- Back up to receptionist to ensure the reception station is staffed 100% of the time, telephone calls are promptly answered and guests are greeted and announced.
- As backup to other office staff, available to send, receive, sort, and route all mail and deliveries.
- As backup to other office staff, maintain knowledge of current postal regulations and services frequently used by the organization.
- As backup to other office staff, prepare or process outgoing mail to include: accurate weighing, coding, sorting, affixing postage, properly addressing, and preparing certified/rush/overnight/ return receipt mail.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a law firm environment
- Professionalism at all times; positive and friendly attitude; willing to help however needed
- Able to exercise high levels of discretion, confidentiality, sensitivity and integrity
- Knowledge of basic legal terminology, processes, documents, case flow
- Attention to detail; Robust writing, grammar and proofing skills
- Highly organized; Ability to multi-task proficiently
- Strong interpersonal skills in working with clients, attorneys, court personnel, vendors, etc.
- Must be able to work under the direction of attorneys and paralegal, and be willing to contribute by performing any task needed
- Able to follow directions, firm policies and procedures
- Able to perform sedentary desk work as well as duties requiring standing/bending/stooping; able to lift 20-25 lbs.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat; must type at least 75 words/minute
- High-school diploma required, college degree a plus
Please note that all candidates are subject to a criminal background check. Include references and compensation requirements with your cover letter and resume. Experienced applicants only, please.
Job Type: Full-time