Associate I&T Mechanical Engineer
Northrop Grumman's Dulles Satellite Manufacturing Facility integrates, tests, and launches state-of-the-art geosynchronous satellites, low-Earth-orbit science and technology spacecraft, International Space Station vehicles, and a host of other orbit technologies. We build cool things.
- No design work; manufacturing production environment where Engineers coordinate system-level spacecraft builds and empower touch-labor Technicians. Daily interfacing with Program managers, Functional supervisors, and other disciplines like Elec/RF/QA is required, so good communication skills under occasionally stressful situations is essential.
- Minimal Hands-on work around extremely fragile space product installations and modifications. After proving reliability over time, more hands-on work becomes available.
- 100% adherence to established ISO processes, diligence to detail, and efficient execution with quality results for cost effectiveness *absolutely required*.
- Responsible and evaluated for performance metrics with heavy emphasis on *quality of work.*
- Focus for this level is *learning* technical processes, Northrop Grumman procedures, and growing inside a team environment. All operations require a "Buddy System" for checks and balances.
Second/third shift 24/7, weekend work, and occasional 4+ weeks travel on launch campaigns (international travel) are *required* of everyone. Occasional short-term projects with travel required. A rotating off-shift coverage allows Engineers to plan ahead up to 3 months, but last minute requests are common to support the dynamic schedules seen in I&T.
Performance standards that an incumbent must have to be successful in this position include:
- Leadership and teamwork capabilities
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Extracurricular activities (campus organizations, clubs, student organizations, community service)
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Enrolled in or having received an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college/university majoring in a science, technology, engineering, or related degree
- Possess an overall cumulative GPA of 3.25/4.0 or higher
- Ability to learn quickly, bonding, taping, torqueing, etc. with delicate honeycomb composite/aluminum panels and aluminum brackets a minimum. Must have "a touch" for delicate equipment.
- Ability to identify issues, escalate to appropriate channels, and implement solutions after engineering review to routine technology or process problems of limited scope.
- Ability to work with diverse team, take constructive feedback from Safety and QA support personnel, and understudy with assigned mentor for up to a year is required.
- Experience with working inside Clean Rooms, Hazardous Material Handling, Hazardous Operations protocols, and related operational protocols preferred.
- Knowledge of basic 3D Modeling, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, general computer handling, and Tool Control helpful but not required. ESD, FOD, and 5S management techniques also helpful.
- Knowledge of basic machine shop principles helpful. Little to no machine shop work is done by I&T Engineering, but interfacing with Machine Department required on occasion.
- Ability to demonstrate general technical knowledge in manufacturing including interpreting routine engineering drawings and shop instruction packages.
- Security Clearance not required, but ability to initiate clearance process strongly preferred (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite)
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.7
- Prior internship or research experience in related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.