Full Job Description
Position: Director of Clinical Operations - RN
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Position Status: Full time, Exempt
Position Summary: The Director of Clinical Operations is responsible for ensuring successful day-to-day clinical operations and delivery of clinical services across the sites of PrimeCare Health. The Director will be primarily responsible for managing the operational efficiency and quality of clinic services at all clinic sites. The Director supervises the clinical nurses, care coordination manager, care managers, quality and process improvement staff.
The Director will lead efforts to improve quality outcomes and clinical operations in a way that contributes to an enhanced experience for staff and patients. They will manage the functioning of key systems vital to clinic operations, including: efficient systems for management of clinic flow and care management. The Director will play a central role in the clinic’s goal to achieve and maintain Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) recognition and optimizing electronic health records (EHR) and other Health Information Technology. They will direct, lead, and facilitate key process improvements in patient access measures, clinic flow, population based quality improvement, and patient experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Collaborate with hospital and other partners in developing and implementing collaborative projects.
2. Monitors and ensures clinical and operational performance goals are maintained across PrimeCare Health. Works with clinical management to optimize staffing, appointment schedules, workflows policies and procedures, as needed to meet goals.
3. Responsible for ensuring an excellent patient experience and that patient complaints and occurrences are addressed and resolved in a timely and responsive manner.
4. Investigate, resolve, monitor, and report all patent complaints, occurrences, and sentinel events to appropriate committees, and PrimeCare’s Quality Board Committee.
5. Participate and provides guidance to the Quality Improvement Manager for Patient Centered Medical Home and other accreditation bodies to effective implementation and maintenance of concepts, principles and processes across the organization.
6. Develop, review and update policies, procedures, process improvement, training, and evaluation that help support efficient clinic workflows, productivity, quality improvement and customer service.
7. Create, analyze and present data and reports as relevant to clinical operations.
8. Responsible for developing, updating, and maintaining policies and procedures related to clinical operations for the organization.
9. Collaborate with Practice Managers
10. Responsible for ensuring compliance with rules and regulations that impact clinic operations, including participation in audits and the development and implementation of Corrective Action Plans.
11. Provide oversight and leadership for clinical and operational projects
12. Participate in the formulation of clinic objectives, policies and procedures, working closely with members of the Clinical Management team.
13. Represent PrimeCare in outside committees and/or collaborations as necessary.
14. Directly supervises Clinical Nurses, Care Managers, Manager of Care Coordination, and Process Improvement Coordinator.
15. Co-lead monthly Practice Manager and Clinical Operations team meetings with the COO.
16. Completes performance evaluations and performance management for direct reports in a timely manner.
17. Ensure communication of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures both up and down the chain of command through meetings, huddles and other forms of communication.
18. Develop, conduct and ensure compliance for all staff for required training related to clinical operations compliance.
19. Other duties as assigned
Required Skills or Abilities
1. Must have strong leadership, analytical, and problem-solving skills
2. Strong written and verbal communication skills
3. Ability to use MS Office programs, including MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
4. Effective problem solving and ability to analyze and use data for decision making.
5. Ability to embrace, manage diversity, and build and maintain successful teams.
6. Effectively interact with people and develop positive relationships while being tactful, respectful, and direct in communication.
7. Ability to work flexible and extended hours and travel between sites as needed.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience, or Licensure
1. Prior experience working in an FQHC – highly preferred
2. 3-5 years of management or supervisory experience in a healthcare or medical setting
3. RN – Active State of Illinois License
4. 5-7 years of nursing experience
5. 5 years of multi-site, ambulatory care experience preferred
6. Familiarity with quality and process improvement methodology, such as Lean.
7. Working knowledge of federal and state regulations that impact clinic operations, including HIPAA, HRSA
8. Working knowledge of and experience with physician practice systems, EMR, and MS office applications.
9. Master’s degree in business administration, healthcare management or related field preferred
1. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
2. Must be able to move around the clinic site 50% of the time.
3. Constantly operates a computer, computer printer, copy machine, and telephone.
4. Occasionally positions self to maintain exertion of physical strength to move objects of 10 pounds from one level to another.
5. Must be able to transport from one site to another.
6. Must be able to cover other shifts as necessary.