- Mission: Rooted in LGBTQ+ liberation, Howard Brown Health provides affirming healthcare and mobilizes for social justice. We are agents of change for individual wellbeing and community empowerment.
- Vision: Howard Brown Health envisions a future where healthcare and transformative social policies actualize human rights and equity for all.
- Community-based health clinics in some of Chicago’s most underserved neighborhoods
- The largest LGBTQ health provider in the Midwest
- Latinx inclusive community based on respect, equal opportunity, and appreciation of diversity to provide the culturally competent support and services within Howard Brown Health.
What is in it for you:
- A commitment to work-life balance with:
- 3-weeks paid vacation and 1-week of personal time
- 12 accrued sick days per year
- 9 paid holidays, including Juneteenth
- PTO Exchange allows employees to turn unused PTO into liquid assets
- Employer-sponsored health, dental, and vision insurance with two PPO plans and an HMO plan.
- BCBS HMO, PPO, and PPO Select Plans
- HMO premium = $ 34.40 /month
- BCBS Dental premium = $ 13.00/month
- EyeMed Vision premium = $ 6.52/month
- 401k program with up to 5% employer match after 90 days = $1,700+
- Employer-paid basic life insurance valued at one times the annual salary
- Voluntary Life and AD&D, and Short-term and Long-term disability
- Up to $720 pre-tax commuter and parking benefit account
- Flexible Spending Accounts for healthcare and dependent care
- Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Forgiveness Programs; NHSC & PSLF
- Employee Assistance Program with 5 employer-paid counseling sessions
- 50% off at Brown Elephant Resale Shops and discounts at local businesses
What you can expect:
A Patient Services Representative (PSR) provides a variety of reception and administrative services for clients, patients, and visitors, under the direction of the Practice Manager. A Patient Services Representative is instrumental in maintaining an efficient and effective appointment and visit flow for all clients/patients. This role ensures client/patient needs are being met throughout the entirety of their visit. A Patient Services Representative I performs entry-level duties, while a Patient Services Representative II performs entry-level to moderately complex duties, and a Patient Services Representative III performs moderately to highly complex duties.
How you will make an impact:
(Duties that occupy a major portion of time and importance in the job)
- Greets and provides guidance to all Howard Brown Health (HBH) visitors with professionalism and creates customer loyalty.
- Notifies HBH staff of all visitors, takes messages, and provides basic referral information within the scope of knowledge and training.
- Screens patients and visitors for COVID-19, Monkeypox (MPV) and any other emerging infectious diseases by taking temperatures and asking appropriate screening questions.
- Records demographic, billing, and insurance information into the electronic medical records (EMR) system.
- Conducts financial assessments for patients applying for Sliding Fee, as described in the policy and procedures.
- Verifies insurance benefits for all new patients, and current patients on an annual basis and/or upon change of insurance coverage.
- Collects payments on patient account balances in the EMR, co-payments, and all applicable fees at time of patient/client visit.
- Schedules appointments for client/patient care including all follow-up appointments.
- Ensures that all patients and visitors follow appropriate PPE regulations and guidelines when entering the building and throughout their visit.
- Provides excellent customer service and answers all client, patient, and visitor questions and/or refers them to appropriate parties.
- Checks all patients in and out using the EMR system.
- Distributes and receives registration packets for clients and patients.
- Identifies uninsured patients and facilitates patient access to support services in collaboration with other HBH departments and troubleshoots insurance-related issues.
- Reviews, scans, and uploads identification and insurance cards for all visits.
- Ensures patient compliance with an agreed payment plan.
- Develops familiarity with Howard Brown Health’s program and funding sources and communicates and enforces eligibility requirements to clients.
- Participates in agency-wide quality assurance and improvement, as needed.
- Maintains an efficient flow and timeliness of client/patient appointments and moves patients through each step using the EMR system.
- Maintains balanced cash banks for collection of patient payments in cash.
- Monitors claims error work queues related to missing/erroneous patient registration data to improve claims submission rate and collections.
- Maintains established department and billing policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental, and infection control and suggests revisions for process improvements.
- Participates as a team member with Medical Services staff and attends Medical Services meetings and continuing education in-services.
- Participates in the emergency preparedness plan as indicated in policies and procedures.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
What you will bring to Howard Brown:
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, & SKILLS REQUIRED:
Patient Services Representative I
- High school diploma/GED or equivalent is required, and 0-2 years of experience working in a customer service-related role.
Patient Services Representative II
- High school diploma/GED or equivalent is required, and 2-4 years of experience working in a customer service-related role. A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a medical/ healthcare or related field may substitute the required experience on a year-for-year basis
Patient Services Representative III
- High school diploma/GED or equivalent is required, and 4-6 years of experience working in a customer service-related role. A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a medical/ healthcare or related field may substitute the required experience on a year-for-year basis
- Experience with Microsoft Office and/or data entry is required for all levels.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to safeguard the confidentiality of medical charts/records, and comply with all local, state, and federal laws pertaining to medical records and protected health information
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with all HIPAA and other privacy and security regulations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to adhere to Howard Brown Health core values and customer service expectations
- Ability to travel between centers is required
- Basic knowledge of health insurance terms and concepts is preferred.
- Experience in electronic medical records and/or medical data entry is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience working with clients living with HIV and with diverse communities is preferred.
- Experience in linkage to care or case management is preferred.
(Physical demands that must be met in order to successfully complete the essential functions of the job)
- Requires ability to speak audibly and listen actively.
- Requires ability to use computers, telephones, and other office equipment.
- Requires ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- May require occasional bending and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- May require periodic travel.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.