It all began with a ROAR over 100 years ago!
San Diego Zoo Global is a conservation organization dedicated to the science of saving endangered species worldwide. San Diego Zoo Global operates three world-class facilities: the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. Our organization’s vision - we will lead the fight against extinction.
Help us to make a difference for wildlife and begin your adventure with a career at the San Diego Zoo Join the dedicated crew who are passionate about what they do and strive to create unforgettable experiences for our guests. Share your knowledge, skills and commitment to provide GRRREAT Customer Service and be a part of the ROAR with San Diego Zoo Global!
Are you ready to start your adventure and put your Passion for Wildlife to Work?
Location – Construction & Maintenance department
Duration of position – Year round
Attire while on adventure-
The Society has a very conservative grooming policy. Tattoos may not be visible or must be appropriately covered while on duty. Jewelry may be worn if it does not detract from a well-groomed look or create a safety hazard. No facial or tongue piercing.
Located at the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park, this adventure offers ZOO Perks which include discounts on food/premium products, free and discounted admission to local attractions, and accrual of vacation and sick time (exception for some grants and Summer Fellowships).
(union position) Starting hourly wage: $25.47
Seeking a qualified applicant with experience in the operation of aquatic animal water filtration systems, ozone generation equipment and temperature control systems. General water chemistry and experience in repair and maintenance of mechanical systems is necessary. An example of experience would be at least 3 years. Duties include operating aquatic animal life support systems, upgrading current water filtration systems and maintaining daily logs. Level 1 AALSO certification is preferred. SCUBA certification highly desirable.This position will require working outdoors, heavy lifting (approximately 50 pounds) and working with hazardous chemicals. Selected candidate will work mostly in the area of their specific craft, but will be expected to assist in other construction and maintenance duties. A good driving and valid California driver license is required. Applicants must be available for work any of the seven days of the week, approximately 40 hours per week. (Posted 6/11/18) (Extended 6/18/18)
One essential function for this position is the ability to drive a SDZ Global vehicle. If you are offered employment, you will be asked to authorize SDZ Global to access your current driving report through the DMV’s Employer Pull Notice Program. Your hiring for this position will be contingent on SDZ Global receiving an acceptable driving report for you. In addition, your continued employment in the position will depend on you maintaining an acceptable driving report from you. You may obtain a list of conditions that disqualify a person from driving an SDZ Global vehicle from a Human Resources Representative.
Deadline to submit your application:
MONDAY, JULY 2, 2018
Applications must be submitted online by 9:30 pm Pacific Time
**San Diego Zoo Global is a smoke-free workplace**
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER
The Construction and Maintenance Worker performs all job assignments with a positive attitude which reflects the Zoological Organization’s mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Construction and Maintenance Worker under general supervision, performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work in the maintenance, construction, alteration, remodeling and repair of Organizationbuildings, facilities, equipment and grounds; and performs related work as required.This position reports tothe Lead Construction and Maintenance Workeror C&M Supervisor/Manager.
This is a skilled, journey-level class. Typically, incumbents work mostly in the area of their specific craft such as electrical, plumbing, painting, carpentry, cement/masonry, etc., but all positions are expected to assist in the performance of duties other than those in their own specific craft.
- Performs a wide variety of skilled and semi-skilled duties of moderate difficulty in the maintenance, repair and construction of Organizationbuildings, facilities, grounds and equipment
- Adheres to all SDZ Global and department policies and practices
- Practices the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
- Positions work in one or several of the following craft areas:
- Installs, trouble-shoots, and makes repairs to motors, lighting circuits, electrical control equipment, transformers, conduit and duct systems, electrical appliances, and other types of electrical lighting and power equipment
- Checks circuits and performs electrical repair of heating and communication equipment;
- Interprets electrical plans, diagrams, and specifications
- Keeps records and prepares reports of work done and materials used
- Applies paint, varnish, shellac, enamel, lacquer, or other protective or decorative finishes to various surfaces such as wood, metal, glass, plaster, stucco, wall board, brick, and cement
- Prepares surfaces for painting or repainting by scraping, sanding, filling, or other appropriate methods
- Applies under and finish coats Sizes and tints plaster walls and other surfaces
- Refinishes furniture and other equipment.Erects, rigs, or moves scaffolding and platforms
- Cleans brushes, tools, and other equipment
- Mixes and blends paints.Matches, harmonizes, and contrasts colors
- Operates sandblasting equipment
Plumbing/Sprinkler and Irrigation Systems
- Repairs and installs plumbing fixtures; installs and repairs sprinkler and irrigation systems
- Installs and repairs water and gas lines
- Installs waste lines
- Prepares pipeand fittings for installation
- Installs rough plumbing
- Sets fixtures, moves vents and routes plumbing; reinstalls fixtures; prepares tools and other plumbing equipment for use
- Assures plumbing tools and equipment are properly maintained and in safe working order
- Tests back-flow devices
- Keeps maintenanceand other records as required
- Unplugs sewage and waste lines
- Installs, repairs, maintains, and services sprinkler system
- Alters, repairs, or constructs articles and structures of wood, such as partitions, counters, doors, window frames, sheds, scaffolds, forms, and fences
- Repairs office furniture, equipment, cabinets, and wooden fixtures, performing milland cabinet work as necessary
- Maintains andrepairs woodwork of buildings
- Builds closets, cases, and shelving; fits doors, windows, sashes, and screens
- Operates planers, sharpeners, jointers, band saws, table saws, and other woodworking tools, equipment, and machinery
- Sharpens hand tools
- Operates and drives a variety of heavy, medium, and light duty motorized vehicles, such as trucks, forklifts, skiploaders, graders, back hoes, water and dump trucks, etc., in the performance of such functions as brush control, erosion control, moving and relocating large rocks and boulders, road and parking lot grading, hauling, firebreak construction, and trenching
- Services, cleans and maintains equipment
- Issues and receives tools, equipment, supplies, and material for maintenance and construction personnel; services, cleans, maintains and repairs tools and equipment
- Orders tools
- Repairs furniture; repairs small appliances
- Services and maintains fire extinguishers and fire truck
- Breaks out concrete or asphalt using hand and/or pneumatic tools; sets concrete formsand reinforcements
- Pours, tamps, levels and smooths finished concrete surfaces to specified textures
- Lays out work; measures and calculates material quantities, volumes, and areas
- Constructs or repairs sidewalks, enclosure walls, curbs, gutters, and catch basins
- Installs and repairs fences; performs skilled welding, metal working, and metal fabrication
- Constructs and repairs cages; performs skilled body and fender work in repairing vehicles
- Assists other maintenance and construction workers as required
As listed the above crafted areas.
Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Competently perform the duties of one or more of the building and construction trades outlined above; some positions may require a valid California driver license.
- Methods, practices and procedures in one or more of the building and construction trades
- Tools, equipment and materials used in one or more of the building and construction trades
- Work and material estimating
- Safely and properly handle and operate the tools and equipment used in the assigned building and construction trade(s)
- recognize and discriminate between colors and/or sounds
- Keep records
- Make simple arithmetic calculations
- Understand and carry out instructions
- Understand, interpret and work from blueprints and drawings
Exposure to varying weather conditions and dust; exposure to potential hazards involved in working with various tools, equipment; move about on uneven surfaces and work from elevated positions; work in confined or cramped spaces; exposure to noise, hot materials, potential electrical shock, allergens, and/or potentially toxic materials
This position has been identified as one requiring at least occasional lifting in excess of 50 pounds; long periods of standing, bending and reaching.
ALL NEW HIRES ARE SUBJECT TO PASSING A DRUG SCREEN.
SOME EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON PASSING PRE-PLACEMENT TESTING.