Monroe Community College, a member of the League for Innovation in the Community College, offers over 100 programs across two main campuses and multiple extension sites. Successful candidates will bring a passion for teaching and a desire to support and mentor MCC students as they pursue educational and career goals.
Adjunct faculty report to the chairperson of the Department and the adjunct coordinator for their discipline. Responsibilities include teaching department courses, evaluating student performance, maintaining accurate records on students and submitting pertinent data to the department and/or the College, including, but not limited to, attendance information, course information sheet, final exams, and final grades per guidelines set by the department and Monroe Community College. Adjunct faculty may be assigned courses at the Brighton Campus and/or the Downtown Campus; day or evening courses may be assigned.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach a variety of cinema or scriptwriting courses and evaluate student performance per guidelines set by the department and Monroe Community College
- Prepare lesson plans based on course learning outcomes, create appropriate teaching aids, and provide students with instructional materials and activities for student engagement
- Advise students concerning professional, academic, and related issues when appropriate
- Adhere to all College and department policies
- Demonstrate and maintain current subject knowledge
- Teach a course(s)/section(s) each term, as outlined by the contract and as available
- Prepare Course Information Sheet/Syllabus/Outlines in accordance with department and College guidelines
- Establish and maintain an engaging and supportive classroom environment
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other records according to department and College guidelines and submits in a timely manner
- Assist department with student retention and completion initiatives including early alert
- Develop innovative teaching pedagogy to facilitate learning
- Incorporate high-impact teaching practices into course design, as appropriate
- Actively engage in pedagogical and academic-discipline professional development
- Work independently and in a team setting, demonstrating excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize workflow and multi-task
- Perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the department chair, as appropriate
- Responsible for adhering to the College Code of Conduct
- Responsible for contributing to and maintaining an inclusive and collaborative College environment
- Responsible for maintaining technological competencies utilized by the College
- Commitment to the philosophy of a comprehensive community college
- Commitment to professional growth
- Earned Master’s degree in Film Criticism, Film Studies, Media Studies, Cinema Studies, Film Production, or a related field from a regionally accredited higher education institution
- Evidence of ability to teach a variety of introductory cinema studies courses that may include The Movies, Cinema Comedy, Cinema Drama, The Movie Business, Scriptwriting, and Video Production and Editing (see MCC website for course descriptions)
- Commitment to supporting an inclusive environment on campus
- Evidence of respect for and understanding of people with diverse backgrounds, abilities, and needs
- Evidence of commitment to the philosophy of teaching at a comprehensive community college
- Evidence of effective communication skills
- Evidence of proficiency with technology
- Commitment to continued professional growth
- Evidence of effective communication (interpersonal, speaking, and writing) skills
- Availability to teach days, Monday through Friday
- Teaching experience at the college level which may include lead instructor, teacher of record, or considerable work experience that may include training/instruction
- Knowledge of, or experience in, implementing a variety of teaching strategies
- Awareness of the potential value of technology as a tool for teaching
- Experience and/or interest in developing and teaching online courses
- Experience with computerized student record management
Posting Date 05/17/2018 To be fully considered, supply all requested documents by this date 05/31/2018 Special instructions regarding transcripts
Unofficial transcripts are required for the application process. Applications that are lacking unofficial transcripts will not be considered by the search committee.
Please attach transcripts for the most recent degree earned or a combination of transcripts showing that the required minimum qualifications are met. To attach multiple transcripts electronically, please scan as a single document and attach. It is not possible to attach multiple transcripts separately. If you are not able to attach unofficial copies electronically, please certify and submit your application without them. Follow up by either mailing unofficial copies to: Human Resources, Monroe Community College, 1000 E Henrietta Rd., Rochester, NY 14623 OR faxing them to: 585-292-3843 OR emailing them to: email@example.com.
Human Resources (HR) will scan the transcripts and attach them to your application after you have certified and submitted your application. (If HR attaches the transcripts, the applicant is not able to view them.)
Current MCC employees should contact HR with a request for HR to scan and attach transcripts from the employee file.
OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS ARE REQUIRED PRIOR TO START OF EMPLOYMENT. New employees will not be permitted to begin employment until official transcripts showing degree(s) earned are received by Human Resources.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must provide the following:
- Current resume/curriculum vitae
- Letter of interest indicating what class or classes the applicant feels he/she is qualified to teach and why
- Philosophy statement supporting an inclusive teaching environment, with respect for and understanding of people with diverse backgrounds, abilities, and needs, while maintaining appropriate academic standards
- Lesson plan for a 50-minute class appropriate to a subject he/she is interested in teaching
- List of three references with contact information; please do not submit letters of reference
- Unofficial transcripts (please see special instructions regarding transcripts)
Please submit each item that is requested in its entirety. If you need assistance, please call HR for help prior to submitting your information and receiving a confirmation number. Once required documents are attached, submit and confirm application.
This adjunct posting is for assignments through the fall 2018 term.
Philosophy of Teaching
List of References With Contact Information
Unofficial Transcript (Please see special instructions regarding transcripts)