WilmerHale is a leading, full-service international law firm with 1,000 lawyers located throughout 12 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Our lawyers work at the intersection of government, technology and business, and we remain committed to our guiding principles of providing quality, excellent legal and client services; developing diversity among our lawyers and staff and cultivating an environment that promotes an ambitious spirit, collaboration and collegiality by drawing on the extraordinary talents and dynamic experience of our lawyers. Our goal is to reflect the diversity of our clients and the communities in which we practice.
What You Will Be Doing
The Compensation Manager is responsible for all aspects of firm staff compensation including the strategic design and administration of all plans, programs and processes for US and international staff. This includes base pay and bonus administration, short term incentives, annual compensation planning, budget forecasting, policies and procedures, job evaluation, analysis and pricing and ad hoc programs as needed. The Compensation Manager also manages the firm’s Affirmative Action Program (“AAP”).
The Compensation Manager plays a consultative role with the HR Business Partners with respect to employee level compensation recommendations, organization design and structure and best practices to maintain consistency across the organization.
This position is also instrumental in non-partner track attorney compensation design and administration to include job pricing, base pay and incentive bonus design and implementation, job evaluation, and organizational structure.
Assists with proactively supporting client service by actively participating in the Firm's ServiceMatters initiative. Ensures that staff members are providing quality service to internal members/departments of the Firm as well as external clients and vendors by displaying professionalism via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person and by encouraging an atmosphere that rewards a "can do" attitude.
About This Role
- Works with the Firm’s Chief Human Resources Officer and Human Resources Directors to develop staff compensation strategy.
- Assesses effectiveness of existing base pay, bonus and other incentive strategies. Explores opportunities to drive motivation and performance with existing and new plan designs.
- Designs specific implementation plans and payout strategies annually for base pay, bonus, short term incentives and other reward vehicles.
- Continually evaluates market trends, conducts market research and recommends strategy shifts and new programs when warranted to ensure the firm maintains its competitive compensation posture.
- Works with the Legal Personnel department on non-partner track attorney compensation design and administration to include job pricing, base pay and incentive bonus design and implementation, job evaluation, and organizational structure.
- Manages the firm’s AAP in consultation with the CHRO and firm’s Labor Counsel, and coordinates with other administrative departments to ensure Plan is always fully compliant.
- Develops and presents materials for executive level viewing as needed on a wide range of compensation topics and the AAP.
- Creates and maintains compensation training materials for a variety of audiences, including other HR professionals, business leaders, and executives. Prepares others to present department specific compensation training materials.
- Oversees selection, participation and analysis of salary surveys and other external instruments to aid the firm in strategic decision making. Gathers benchmarking information to assist in compensation program design.
- Maintains the firm’s market pricing tool with personnel data, survey data and organizational specific design elements.
- Conducts an annual survey migration process to incorporate the latest market data. Conducts an analysis of the new data in relationship to the firm’s jobs and overall position to market and makes recommendations on strategy shift as necessary to maintain desired competitive position.
- Plays a consultative role with HR Business Partners offering guidance on compensation program and policy implementation.
- Develops and maintains job structures which accurately and consistently reflect the WilmerHale job hierarchy.
- Applies current FLSA standards against all newly created positions to maintain compliance and evaluates existing positions as external standards change; Evaluates all manager and higher positions to properly place into the WilmerHale job hierarchy.
- Keeps apprised of federal, state and local compensation and OFCCP laws and regulations in order to ensure firm compliance and completes all necessary compliance related reporting tasks such as pay data reporting or wage notifications and assures that the firm’s compensation programs are consistently administered in compliance with firm policies and state and federal government regulations.
Your Qualifications/What You Will Bring
- Strong project management skills to drive projects to completion.
- Strong knowledge of compensation plan design, job evaluation and salary survey methodology.
- Ability to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Ability to influence and inform decision making at the highest organizational levels.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and deliver effective presentations to executives, managers and staff.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities, analytical skills, initiative, organization skills and deadline sensitivity.
- Strong team player.
- Proficiency with a variety of data reporting skills utilizing Microsoft office products and HRIS data. Advanced knowledge of Excel required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration (preferably specializing in Human Resources) preferred.
- CCP certification preferred.
- 5 to 7 years compensation management experience.
- Extensive experience with a variety of compensation concepts, practices, and procedures required.
- Previous AAP experience preferred.
Upon joining the firm new hires will go through our onboarding program and be paired with a staff mentor to help them acclimate to the firm. Additionally, there will be opportunities for new employees to take advantage of training and development, public service, and diversity and inclusion programs.
WilmerHale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or other protected status.
This position is hybrid and may sit in Boston, Washington, DC, New York or Dayton.
New York, New York, United States
165,000.00 - 206,000.00 USD