The Cancer Center has been a leading provider of oncology care on the Central Coast of California for more than 60 years. Our investment in the latest equipment and technology, recruitment of highly trained medical professionals, and development of the most extensive oncology support services in the region, allow us to keep our comprehensive and personalized approach to cancer care at the heart of what we do. Our employees take pride in their commitment to continually advancing cancer care and enhancing the lives of those touched by cancer.
The Ridley-Tree Cancer Center provides the Central Coast with the full spectrum of cancer care that aligns with the National Cancer Institute (NCI) recommendations for best practice in cancer care. When you join our team at the Cancer Center, you will play a vital role in fulfilling our founding promise -- to provide the highest level of cancer care in Santa Barbara County.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Staff Physicist is responsible for all physics and radiation safety duties including treatment planning, dosimetry data management, special physics reports and consultations, equipment calibration of linear accelerators and simulation machine, and quality assurance of patient treatment equipment in accordance with the mission, vision and values of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBLITIES: (This list may not include all of the responsibilities assigned.)
- Works with the physics team in a peer team model, in which both physicists have proficiency and cover each other in all aspects.
- Maintains a collegial, collaborative and effective working relationship with all staff.
- Assists in the development of long-term strategic plan and ways to optimize patient care, staff working environment and cost containment.
- Assists all medical staff with treatment planning. Assures accuracy of simulations and treatment delivery.
- Maintains working knowledge of treatment planning systems.
- Creates computer generated isodose plans for external beam radiation therapy and brachytherapy treatments.
- Regularly performs initial and weekly chart checks and performs IMRT QA.
- Performs HDR planning and treatment with Physicians and Nursing team.
- Maintains licensing related to any radioactive materials and registration relating to x-ray generating machines
- Provides support with complex patient setups.
- Generates unique dosimetry data. Maintains all dosimetry data and manuals. Provides dosimetry measurements during patient treatments.
- Provides input on the accuracy and interpretation of computerized treatment plans.
- Provides routine equipment calibration checks of linear accelerators and simulation machine.
- Ensures quality assurance on the accuracy of all treatment equipment.
- Interacts with service and maintenance personnel on treatment equipment performance. Verifies treatment equipment performance after maintenance.
- Performs annual survey regarding all treatment equipment including linear accelerators and simulation machine.
- Coordinates and performs data measurement and machine acceptance to bring new technology on line in a timely manner.
- Prepares and presents quality assurance reports.
- Adheres to established policies and procedures, mission, vision, values, strategic plan, annual goals, objectives, corporate compliance program, quality improvement program, safety and infection control standards.
- Ensures care and upkeep of equipment and supplies.
- Provide guidance to facilitate evaluations of Physicist and Dosimetrist and coach staff as needed.
- Assists in developing policies and procedures.
- Participates in special projects as necessary.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Participates in department quality improvement, clinic safety, infection control and hazardous materials programs and activities.
- Enhances professional growth through education programs, conferences and workshops
- Handles confidential matters concerning clinic policies and practices in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Participates in clinical and research projects and collaborates with staff to complete required tasks.
- Participates in the development and implementation of protocols in conjunction with all medical staff to achieve a high level of patient service with the greatest efficiency and economy. Assures that all patients receive quality, timely care.
- Participates in the weekly Chart Rounds.
- Participates in the weekly Physics/Dosimetry working group meeting.
- Participates in the interactions with service and maintenance personnel and is responsible for assuring autocontouring and treatment planning system performance.
- Participates in the collaboration with IT and vendors to troubleshoot and upgrade systems used in Radiation Oncology.
- Participates in the new equipment recommendations.
- Participates in the safety and quality assurance for Radiation Oncology Department, to support the RSO for all Radiation Oncology matters, both non-emergent and emergent.
- Performs related work as required
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS: Critical thinking and excellent interpersonal skill, written and verbal.
Ability to manage time and staff in a fiscally responsible manner. SRS, SBRT, IMRT, High and/or Low Dose Brachytherapy, superficial therapy, and external beam treatment planning. Knowledge of clinical policies and procedures. Knowledge of clinical practices and medical terminology. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc. Ability to adapt to varied, age-specific and/or specialized groups. Ability to understand use, function, interpret, document, and keep records. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Ability to organize and prioritize work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to reason and make sound judgments. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, management, patients, medical staff, and the public. Skill in accepting constructive criticism and giving suggestions in a professional manner.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, click on the below link which will take you directly to our website to complete an on-line application. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation verifying your application has been received.
Position number 1372
Job Type: Full-time
- Nursing: 1 year (Required)
- Registered Nurse (RN) (Required)