We are building a field communications team that is changing the perceptions of one of the most recognized brands in the world. This team will be comprised of creative, innovative and disciplined grassroots storytellers that are committed to developing and telling a steady cadence of local stories on behalf of McDonald’s.
If you are looking to join a corporate communications team as a regional spokesperson that earns local media coverage, generates local buzz for the brand and responds to issues and crisis, this position is for you. This position will proactively support franchisees as brand ambassadors and execute grassroots brand initiatives that strategically move the brand message and generate restaurant traffic in key markets including, Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit. This person is also responsible for developing positive working relations with local social influencers and local media.
This person will work closely with franchisees, corporate field office leadership and a cross-functional corporate relations team to ensure a steady drumbeat of local people, experience and corporate social responsibilities stories that support brand reputation and business growth.
The manager will be based within the region and report to the field communication leadership in Chicago, IL.
The ideal candidate has at least five years of experience with external communications in a corporate communications, public affairs or public relations agency role.
In addition to following McDonald’s policies and procedures, principal accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Plan Development
- Work with key internal regional and corporate stakeholders to identify and utilize data driven business and consumer insights to inform local plan development and execution
- In coordination with a cross-functional team (government relations, public affairs, communications) lead the development of proactive strategic communications plans for markets in geographic scope of responsibility. These annual communications plans will include a mix of national to local business priority activations and grassroots brand reputation initiatives.
- Use KPIs to track success of plan and local initiatives and make real-time adjustments to the communications plan as needed
National to Local Business Priority Activations
- Support plan development and execution of multi-channel communications activations that make national brand priority activations locally relevant to key local media, stakeholders and consumers
- Orchestrate local co-op agencies, operations, and deployment teams (as needed) in the execution of national to local activations
- Develop relationships and engage key media, social influencers in the region in the execution of the business priority activations
Grassroots Brand Reputation Initiatives
- Lead development and execution of grassroots brand reputation initiatives for the markets under scope of responsibility.
- Coordinate with government relations, public affairs and corporate communications team in plan development
- Work with owner operators to identify potential story ideas within the region that support ‘always-on’ approach to storytelling to local media, social influencers and stakeholders
- Engage and pitch media in the execution of grassroots brand trust initiatives
- Work with public affairs and government relations to support building relationships with grassroots stakeholders and organizations who influence the debate that impacts McDonald’s. This may include supporting outreach to tell the brand story and cultivating third-party support for the brand.
Issues & Crisis Management
- Serve as local issues and crisis spokesperson for the brand
Stay ahead of the issues by keeping a pulse on external hot topics and key audience sentiment
Proactively develop relationships with key local media
- Establish a cadence of regular communication to local owner operators and regional teams to build the internal profile of the brand reputation management role and report on results
5+ years of previous experience, preferably in a corporate or political communications role or agency. The ideal candidate will be a proactive, strategic, solutions-focused leader with the following attributes:
§ Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills
§ Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications as a mechanism to drive that strategy
§ The ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, while being flexible, collaborative and deadline driven
§ Experience and genuine interest in uncovering unique and innovative communication approaches to build brand reputation
§ A rich background building and nurturing relationships with owner/operators, corporate staff, media and key external stakeholders
§ Proven ability to support and counsel senior-level executives
§ Strong interpersonal skills
§ Experience in project management and large-scale event planning/implementation
§ Communications experience including message development, message distribution via myriad channels, dealing with reporters, and writing communications plans
§ Ability to lead and command respect among local team
§ Understanding of the importance of owner-operator buy-in
§ Knowledge of the roles each function at McDonald’s plays
§ Experience managing agencies
§ Political-style campaign experience is preferred but not required
§ Crisis and issues management
McDonald’s Corporation is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce.