Ambulatory Clinical Educator
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm with occasional weekends and evenings
The Ambulatory Clinical Educator (ACE) performs activities related to orientation, training, and development of clinical staff in the ambulatory space. The ACE assists in planning, implementing, and evaluating clinical education activities/programs for clinical staff utilizing data and quality metrics to drive clinical outcomes as well supports clinical student learning in their assigned region.
Education and Training Program Oversight
Manages and delivers the regions education and training activities in accordance with defined strategic priorities for clinical service lines.
o Identifies, recommends, and coordinates the education and training needs for the region under the direction of the Clinical Education Manager.
o Assists with the development and implementation of strategic planning initiatives under the direction of the Clinical Education Manager.
o Partner with regional ambulatory leadership, committees, councils, and the Clinical Education Manager to identify and educate on new and emerging services.
o Owns and facilitates Clinical Education portion of New Employee Orientation.
§ Conducts clinical competency check-off for all new employees
§ Coordinates scheduling of General Orientation with regional leaders
§ Presents on orientation topics
o Recognizes and communicate gaps in clinical and disease education within the Ambulatory Enterprise to the Clinical Education Manager and Executive Director of Clinical Education
§ Works in conjunction with Clinical Education Manager to develop training and then conduct disease or content based education based on that plan.
o Partners with regional affiliates to provide education on how to utilize resources across UPH care continuum.
Student Educational Experiences
Coordinated and communicates requests for student experiences in the Ambulatory Space.
o Verification of current contract in place through Compliance Department.
o Provides requesting institution with required documents for experience.
o Validate experience request forms obtained and coordinated educational experience with clinical leader at regional locations.
o Educates clinical staff on role of precepting students at their location
o Evaluates data collected from student evaluations and reports on trends on a quarterly basis to regional leadership.
Subject Matter Expert
Expected Competency Proficiency
o Maintains knowledge of current and anticipated future of industry standards, evidence based practice regulated training requirements and continuing education requirements
o Delivers competency based programs for clinical staff with a focus upon improvement of skills and retention of knowledge
o In coordination with Compliance and the Clinical Education Manager, evaluates incident reports and determines education methods for reducing the risk.
o Serves a resource for clinics with specific requests for onsite training of specific competencies.
o Establishes and maintains positive interpersonal relationships with colleagues, supervisors, and UnityPoint Health leadership
o Engages in development and learning that advances skills and competencies of self and others
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Maintains compliance with CLIA, OSHA, HIPAA, Safety, and Risk Management
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Attends, leads, or participates in training programs, conferences and other workshops
- Maintains current knowledge base and nursing skills through continuing education activities
- Serves as a resource and education consultant to staff, facilities, committees and projects
- Ability to adapt and flex to dynamic clinical environments and to the needs of learners
- Balances team and individual responsibilities, be open and objective to other’s views, give and welcome feedback, and contribute to positive team goals
- Provides troubleshooting assistance to clinics for education training needs
- Maintains compliance with Personnel policies and procedures
- Monitors environmental conditions in order to secure protect health information.
- Responsible for supporting a culture of innovation, learning, teamwork, and professional practice that is consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Performs other duties as requested by your supervisor to facilitate the smooth and effective day-to-day operations
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
Own The Moment:
- Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
- Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
- Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
- Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
- Enthusiastically engage in our work.
- Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
- Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
- Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
- Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
- Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
- Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
- Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
- Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- 5+ years in nursing, precepting, or training experience
- *A Master’s Degree in Nursing may be substituted for 2 years of required experience
- Current RN license for the state in which the candidate works.
- Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
- Mandatory Reporter
- Person Centered Care training within the first 12 months of hire and maintenance of training through annual sustainability activities.
Communication-written & verbal
Planning and organizing skills
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.