About Running Strong
Running Strong's mission is to help American Indian people meet their immediate survival needs – food, water, and shelter – while implementing and supporting programs designed to create opportunities for self-sufficiency and self-esteem.
Our National Spokesperson Billy Mills, Oglala Lakota (Sioux), was raised on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. An Olympic gold medalist and Running Strong's National Spokesperson, he has dedicated his life to serving American Indian communities.
Running Strong seeks a Communications Manager to help develop and implement the organization’s communications strategies. The ideal candidate will have interest and experience in using traditional media, social media and other communications tools. The position offers opportunities for growth.
This is a full-time, regular position based in Alexandria, VA and reports to the Executive Director.
- Support the development and execution of Running Strong’s communications strategy, which includes media outreach, website and social media content creation and event coordination
- Build media lists, help pitch Running Strong content to media outlets and track coverage
- Identify and conduct outreach around media opportunities, including both Running Strong programmatic work as well as external opportunities such as the 2020 Olympics
- Work closely with Running Strong National Spokesperson Billy Mills, coordinating his schedule with Running Strong and managing resources as necessary
- Work with Program Coordinator around Running Strong’s Dreamstarter program, including press releases, video production and Dreamstarter Academy trainings
- Work with Program Coordinator and Development staff on other campaigns and projects, including special events
- Help to manage Running Strong’s social media accounts by developing engaging content for relevant target audiences
- Write and edit public-facing material including blog posts, press releases, media advisories, press statements, website content, presentations, talking points and other compelling communications for various audiences
- Serve as liaison with third party vendors as appropriate
- Oversee Running Strong’s brand guidelines to ensure all outgoing products are in appropriate style and format
- Perform other tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required, ideally in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field
- 2 years full-time professional experience working in communication.
- Experience with planning, coordinating and executing communications products, influence strategies and audience targeting.
- Strong organizational, coordination, and project management skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in conversation and in writing
- Deep commitment to Running Strong’s mission of providing hope to American Indian communities
- Articulate, versatile and highly skilled writer
- Excellent design sense and visual storytelling ability; some experience with graphic design preferred
- Experience working with reporters or members of the media preferred
TO APPLY: http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/career/CareerHome.action?clientId=8a788267552e49bf01553be1795104a2
Job Type: Full-time
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Gym memberships or discounts
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules