Phoenix Public Library serves a diverse clientele of over 4.8 million people, with a central library and 16 branches. The library offers collections in multiple languages, a full range of cutting edge electronic resources and customer focused public services. Library Assistants provide highly skilled direct public information service or service support. They may conduct a children's story time or teen programming, help students with college and financial aid forms, teach basic computer or workforce readiness classes, assist with library collection maintenance, or work in the community to promote reading, higher education and library services. They work independently under the general supervision of a Librarian or Branch Manager. The ideal candidate must be able to multi-task, resolve problems and work with a diverse customer base in a fast paced environment.
The Library Department is currently hiring part-time positions at various locations.
Recruitment closes July 2, 2018. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
$16.75 (minimum) - $24.91(maximum) hourly. These positions are classified as part-time and do not include benefits.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS –
- A bachelor’s degree in a program that imparts a broad education such as liberal arts, humanities, social sciences, education, or a related field.
- Working irregular hours, weekends, holidays, and evenings may be required.
- May require the use of personal vehicle. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicle safety, possess a valid driver’s license, and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for city business will prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
The job requirements listed above, plus:
HOW TO APPLY
- Ability to communicate well and work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and have a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish may be useful depending on location.
- Proficiency in computer programs such as MS Office.
- Exhibits excellent organizational skills.
- Experience teaching or presenting programs to the public for adult, teens and/or children.
- Demonstrated ability with mobile devices, eBooks, eMedia resources, and technology. Experience working in or with small business or entrepreneurial enterprises.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please visit: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/Talent-Acquisition/Employment-Information.pdf
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Library Assistant, 30200 , ID# 27688, 06/18/18 6m, CP, Benefits: Supervisory , Q
City of Phoenix employees demonstrate superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged t