At Visolis, we use synthetic biology to manufacture high performance materials. Our systems approach integrates innovations in synthetic biology, chemical catalysis and process scale-up to enable new bio-based manufacturing platforms. Our unique bio-based process enables us to achieve true carbon negative chemical synthesis. Visolis is located in Berkeley, CA with close collaborations with Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Pacific Northwest National Lab, National Renewable Energy Lab, and University of California, Berkeley. We have received funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, US Department of Energy, the National Science Foundation and the US Department of Agriculture. http://www.visolisbio.com/
Postdoctoral Researcher, Strain Engineering
The Postdoctoral Researcher on the Bioengineering team will be responsible for leading activities in bioengineering, fermentation and process development areas. Specifically, the person in this position will contribute to the development of the production process and strain development strategies through the operation of lab-scale bioreactors to quantitatively characterize biocatalysts for the production of renewable chemicals. The person will work closely with engineering, molecular biology, and analytical teams to increase the yield and productivity of the biocatalysts. The scientist will promote a strong health, safety and environment culture on-site and within the team.
- Independently develop overarching approach strategies to basic research problems; apply appropriate tactics and methodologies to execute the overarching strategy, extract key concepts from current and relevant scientific articles pertaining to the execution of broad research aims.
- Plan, assign, and direct the work of supporting researchers, advising them on problems which they are unable to solve, and take responsibility for the supervision, and training of Research Associates, Laboratory Assistants, and Interns.
- Perform DNA engineering activities including standard molecular biology enzymatic reactions, PCR, qPCR, DNA cloning and sub-cloning, site specific mutagenesis, synthetic biology, and sequencing.
- Contribute original ideas of major methodological significance to the execution of laboratory and/or field phases of research.
- Exercise judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness in making decisions.
- Frequently contribute (a) original ideas of major importance in the execution of laboratory and/or field phases of research and (b) accurately interpret data yielded by new/original method(s) used or developed in the course of laboratory and/or field phases of research to identify and execute on pivotal decisions.
- Communicate effectively with research, business, marketing, and manufacturing teams
- Initiate conversations within the research team to discuss project progress
- Ensure that all research staff are informed about their project-related duties and investigational agents
- PhD degrees in the field of life sciences (biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics, structural biology, genetics, bio-engineering, bioinformatics, etc.).
- Less than a year of work experience in the related field.
- Demonstration of success in graduate school (e.g., high-quality publications).
- This is a full-time, 18-month postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $64,000.00 - $79,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Biotechnology: 4 years (Preferred)
- Molecular biology: 4 years (Preferred)
- Cell biology: 4 years (Preferred)