This role is unique for several reasons:
#1 - It’s remote. You can work from home, coffee shops, beach views, your boat (invite us if you have one)...wherever you want as long as you have WiFi and cell service. You may have a visit to a client here and there in the LA area but we'll work with you.
#2 - It’s your schedule. You can do the work whenever you want as long as you follow a few simple guidelines (wage and hour stuff) and meet your deadlines. Bonuses if you turn work in early.
#3 - It’s part-time. As the work comes in the projects will be presented to you. You may have a client your serve a few hours a month. This means, at least at this stage in our business, the work will not be consistent. This is ideal for an HR professional who doesn’t need a steady income but would love extra cash.
#4 - be the change HR is a social enterprise. If you’re one of our HR Consultants you are heart-driven to “be the change” and you’ll do so by teaching workplace readiness courses at a nonprofit of their choice.
If this type of role is for you...then read on because it gets even better!
You are the face, voice and heart of this company. Without you we wouldn’t be “be the change HR.” You are responsible for handling our client’s HR projects and processes as a reliable and knowledgeable HR Consultant and true HR Generalist. You care about your craft. You bring calm to the sometimes HR storm that can happen. You also know how to have a good time while doing it because let’s be honest, you really love HR.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- You handle incoming client projects like but not limited to, employee handbooks, job descriptions, HR audits, performance management tools, compensation analysis and basically anything that comes across HR’s desk.
- You are a resource to our clients for the gamut of HR questions they may have. You are an excellent coach and you love finding the perfect solutions for them with calm and ease.
- You maintain knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensure our client’s policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance.
- You know CA employment law like the back of your hand.
- You guide our clients to think “big picture” when they are hiring, interviewing each candidate not only for skill set but culture fit and value alignment. You don’t do the recruiting for them but you help along the way.
- You help onboard new employees for our clients, walking them through the handbook, benefits and answer any questions to help them join the team with ease. You encourage our clients to have a comprehensive and friendly onboarding process past the first day.
- You help train our client’s management/lead team in best practices and high-level strategy (everything is based on core values) in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance review, safety, and sexual harassment.
- You advise management in the appropriate resolution of employee issues always holding the motto, “What’s the right thing to do?” by either the client or the employee. You are not always on the client’s side.
- You respond to our client’s inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
- You help our client’s with their performance management program always thinking at a high level first ensuring the company’s core values and business goals are always weaved into the program you help them build.
- You’re knowledgable about benefits and can guide our client’s through the process and add valuable input if the plans presented aren’t a good fit for them. You know rules behind POP plans, ACA and even, yuck, CalCOBRA or COBRA.
- If our clients have a work comp issue come up, you know what to do. You are equipt with the knowledge to guide them through the forms and process. You may even have already talked to them about it and they have everything they need.
- And in the event they need to let someone go, you’ve got the compliance side covered because of your knowledgeable but also you help all parties through the process to offboard employees with dignity.
- Finally, you’re going to change lives by teaching a workplace readiness course at a local nonprofit (you choose or we can help). And even more awesome, you will offer to coach any participant one-on-one to help them get gainful, healthy employment because you’ve got the skills to get them there.
- Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
You have at least seven years as an HR Generalist or equivalent experience and training
Bachelor’s Degree preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS:
Any of the listed certificates below are preferred:
Bilingual in Spanish plus.
Who you are at your core:
You are a lifelong learner especially in your craft of HR.
You are an excellent communicator even with difficult information.
People feel calm around you.
You’re always on time, in fact, you’re early.
People can trust you
If all this is you, then we can’t wait to meet you!
How to apply:
- Tell us why you think this role is right for you.
- Pick one of these words (caring, calming, fun or reliable) and tell us why you picked it.
- Finally, what’s your favorite food.
About be the change HR:
Founder and HR Pro, LeiLani Quiray, has a fiery passion for both Human Resources (nerdy, we know) and philanthropy. With 20 years of HR practitioning and philanthropic work, she desired to build a business that was different from your everyday Human Resources consulting firm. be the change HR, Inc. is that firm.
be the change HR, Inc., an Orange County-based conscious company and social enterprise, provides HR support for small-to-medium sized businesses in any facet of HR from pre-hire to post-term and everything else that happens in between. If it involves your employees, call us and we can handle it.
There’s something special about the consultants we have at this firm. The HR-ness is less HR-y than most HR people. We make things easy for you. We’re fun. We do good work and care about you and your employees.
And we aren’t just HR Consultants but people who make a difference. We are involved in the community around us helping people in need get gainful healthy employment by teaching workplace readiness classes at local nonprofits.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi
Yup...we’re doing just that! ;-)
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $65.00 /hour
- Human Resources: 10 years (Required)
- Santa Monica, CA (Required)
- Multiple locations
- Fully Remote
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Day shift
- Night shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends