About Nuvance Health
Nuvance Health is a family of award-winning nonprofit hospitals and healthcare professionals in the Hudson Valley and western Connecticut. Nuvance Health combines highly skilled physicians, state-of-the-art facilities and technology, and compassionate caregivers dedicated to providing quality care across a variety of clinical areas, including Cardiovascular, Neurosciences, Oncology, Orthopedics, and Primary Care.
Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations. For more information about Nuvance Health, visit
**Must be a current licensed CT Registered Nurse**
The Clinical RN Coordinator-Oncology/Hematology coordinate's the clinical and administrative activities related to the outpatient physician's practice, to ensure high quality, safe patient care is delivered for this high risk, disease specific population.
1. Assists supervising physician with patient visit in the exam room, including physical assessment and health history. Coordinates care with the infusion staff.
2. Responds to /refers incoming patient care related phone calls appropriately. Instructs patient and caregivers regarding medications and treatment instructions.
3. Collects and tracks clinical data (including laboratory, radiology, and pathology) for patients to ensure receipt of ordered tests.
4. Reviews abnormal data with primary physician; advises patients of results; and coordinates need for specific intervention (i.e., further testing, medication implementation or changes, or referral as appropriate to other providers or agencies).
5. Develops treatment plan/schema to ensure appropriate oncologic treatment per NCCN and ASCO guidelines will be provided to the patient in conjunction with primary physician. Orders and documents delivery of prescribed interventions, utilizing Intellidose computer system; ensures doses are calculated based on patient's laboratory data and performance status to support treatment regimen/doses to ensure patient safety.
6. Educates patient and caregivers on all aspects of cancer treatment with distribution and explanation of current literature including oral and parental administration, safe handling procedures , to ensure understanding of risks, benefits,how to identify, manage and report side effects of chemotherapy.
7. Ensures oncology/hematology patients receive best quality care by participating in performance improvement activities as designated by Chief of Oncology or Nurse Manager.
8. Conducts and ensures patients are enrolled in and comply with mandated education and prescribed safety programs, to ensure precautions are taken before, during, and after therapy.
9. Assists in the training of newly-hired nurses in the care, triage, and complete assessment of quality and scope of practice. Supervises medical assistant and medical secretary to ensure excellent care is provided to patients.
10. Establishes and maintains understanding of billing and coding regulations, including CPT, ICD, HCPCS, and third-party billing to ensure compliance as well as maintaining fiscal viability for the organization. Provides medical information to insurance companies to obtain/ensure reimbursement for ordered tests or prescription medication including chemotherapy agents. Maintains medical records and provides appropriate documentation per department guidelines/standards.
11. Assists physician in participation in quality reporting programs.
12. Performs routine diagnostic tests such as complete blood counts, electrocardiograms and phlebotomies. Assists physician with routine outpatient procedures (i.e., paracentesis, bone marrow biopsy, and aspirations). Performs access and maintenance of port-a-caths and central lines
13. Works with the multidisciplinary healthcare team to coordinate services for the Oncology/Hematology patient: i.e.,referring and primary care physicians, radiation therapy, inpatient treatment, palliative care, survivorship programs, hospice, home care, social work, nurse and financial navigators, dietary, respiratory agencies, community support programs to provide excellent quality care for the high risk/ complex population.
14. Maintains medical equipment including code cart, CBC machine, INR machine, and automated blood pressure machines to ensure compliance with hospital standards.
15. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
State of CT RN license. Oncology Nursing Society Chemotherapy and Provider certification.
BSN preferred. Oncology Nursing Society: OCN certification (Oncology Nursing) preferred.
Danbury - 95 Locust Ave
Exempt from Overtime:
- ONS Chemotherapy Biotherapy Certificate
- Registered Nurse
- Significant manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
- Significant occupational risk
- Medium to Heavy effort. May exert up to 35 lbs. force
- Significant exposure to dirt, odor, noise, human waste, etc.
Western Connecticut Health Network and its affiliates are Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations and therefore eligible employees may qualify for forgiveness of certain federal student loans under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Qualified Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other classification protected under applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.