This position is the primary person responsible for communication with citizens wishing to relinquish their pets and rescues to pull from the BVSPCA Georgetown location, as well as manage the population and adoption of animals at remote locations. This person is also responsible for managing the Foster and Safety Net Programs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Uphold the mission, vision and principles of BVSPCA at all times.
- Provide exceptional customer service for citizens wishing to relinquish their pets through the internet, email, phone, and in person.
- Recruiting and interviewing potential fosters; scheduling follow up visits and other care.
- Oversee the administration of “Safety Net” programs and intake intervention.
- Communicate with local, regional and breed specific shelters to share information on rescue candidates, and coordinate their transfer.
- Responsible for the overall care of all the animals at our remote adoption locations by providing food, water, and a clean environment.
- Perform daily cleaning of animal areas, feeding, monitoring animal health, and assisting the public with general information and adoptions.
- Carry out duties and job assignments as delegated by the appropriate supervisor.
- Maintain and create foster records by accurately recording visits, beginning and end of pets’ stays in Foster Care via PetPoint software.
- Process adoptions facilitated at remote adoption locations.
Client and Community Service
- Admit and release animals from BVSPCA in a responsive, courteous and tactful manner to both internal and external clients.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals.
- Promote donation and giving opportunities as appropriate.
Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Work effectively with individuals and colleagues from diverse communities and cultures.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practice.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
- Maintain a clean, healthy, and sanitary work area; follow all pest and rodent control protocols.
- Experience with humane animal handling and restraint techniques of healthy, ill and feral animals.
- Experience in caring for and handling animals in a safe, effective and humane manner, especially larger and possibly untrained pets.
- Comfortable working in the shelter environment and willing to accommodate animals in the work place.
- Computer literate; able to master veterinary software as applicable to Lifesavings operations.
- Knowledge of basic dog and cat physiology, anatomy and behavior as it relates to understanding the general health of animals.
- Ability to understand and communicate pertinent medical information with colleagues and clients.
- Self-motivated and able to initiate and complete tasks.
- Work is performed in a shelter/animal hospital setting.
- Frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, and climbing stairs while seeing patients.
- Regular sitting at a computer workstation 2-4 hours per day to input patient data.
- Exposure to disinfectant solutions when in kennel & treatment areas.
- Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals.
- Repeated lifting and carrying of animals weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Consistent exposure to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
Job Type: Full-time