The General Ledger Manager will manage a team of accountants and actively lead day-to-day and month-end accounting activities. The position will oversee the accuracy and timeliness of these activities including, but not limited to, month-end close, internal/external monthly financial statements, variance analysis, balance sheet reconciliations, GAAP research/compliance and ad hoc management requests/projects.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the timely and accurate monthly general ledger close process.
- Reviews and approves journal entries; reviews and sign offs on account reconciliations.
- Prepares or ensures the preparation of balance sheet and income statement variance analyses.
- Responsible for the preparation and review of certain significant accounting estimates (such as sales commissions and contingency reserves, etc.).
- Responsible for leading or participating in ad hoc project teams addressing operational or financial issues, as necessary.
- Actively participates in annual audits and in the compilation of internal and external financial statements and related schedules.
- Acquires a thorough working knowledge of all information systems-generated reports supporting the Accounting department and acts as a mentor and knowledge source for others within and outside the Accounting department.
- Participates in information systems conversions and implementation teams and develops departmental procedures as necessary.
- Participates in the budgetary process and the explanation of cost variances with respect to the Accounting department's budget.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Lead organizational change and improvement.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, and evaluating employees.
- Maintains financial staff job results by motivating, coaching, counseling, developing, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed and by providing operations support.
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting required.
- 7 or more years of relevant business experience in accounting, including two years at manager level required.
- CPA preferred.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Prepare written reports and/or forms.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Self-starter with excellent customer service skills; strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of financial software, Word and other Microsoft Office products.
- Proficiency in Excel required.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with little or no supervision at times.
- Epicor experience a plus.
- Waste experience a plus.