READING SPECIALIST JOB DESCRIPTION
This position reports to School Principal and Assistant School Principal. Reading Specialist enables students to derive the fullest possible educational experience from schooling; to provide leadership,coordination, collaboration, and innovation in reading curriculum and instruction, so that each student may drive maximum benefit from the school curriculum; to create appropriate strategies to effectuate successful out come in learning for our students.
1. Bachelor’s Degree or higher degree with major in assigned area.
2. A valid NYS Literacy certificate.
3. Demonstrates a commitment to ongoing education/continuing professional development.
1. Observes disabled readers in the classroom, upon teacher’s request.
2. Assists classroom teachers in the diagnosis of students and collaborates in planning the instructional strategies.
3. Assists in the selection of appropriate materials utilized by the classroom teacher for corrective measures.
4. Provides demonstrations of new methods and materials (i.e. team teaching)
5. Interprets and disseminates results of comprehension test to teachers.
1. Develops and implements a remediation plan for students
2. Plans and conducts periodic evaluations to assess the need for changes inthe reading program.
1. Plans and develops special reading projects as approved or provided.
2. Serves as a resource to the board and administration in areas of reading instruction and curriculum.
3. Provides leadership in the development and implementation of the reading program.
1. Assesses the reading referrals of parents/guardians, teachers, and support staff.
2. To provide for remedial instructional needs of students through collaboration with CHK staff, occasional small group instruction and staff development in content area reading strategies.
AAP/ EEO Statement
The Children’s Home of Kingston, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex,pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions),national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexualorientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The Children’s Home of Kingston believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a healthcare organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $20.88 to $21.98 /hour
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time: