Editor, Technical - Technical Writer (L3)
Fort Belvoir, VA
GDIT is seeking candidates to support the US Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM). Under the I2TS 3 task order, INSCOM ensures reliable, uninterrupted availability of Command, Control, Communications, Computers, and Information Management (C4IM) including: networks, hardware, software, engineering, and specialized tools at the point of customer need to support INSCOM's mission. INSCOM and its MSCs provide the enabling layer to connect the Army and its tactical formations to defense and national intelligence agencies via tactical networks. The ability to provide mission critical
intelligence is dependent on the successful use of its information technology (IT) networks worldwide.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
An I2TS 3 Technical Writer:
- Is responsible for the preparation, review, revision, and maintenance of technical documents including software and systems engineering, system operations, testing, and user documentation
- Writes and edits technical documentation for all of the project’s hardware and software to include installation, configuration and how-to documentation
- May need to create standardized and update templates for Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTPs)
- ; produces implementation guides and end-user guides for capabilities; provides field, data definition, and data flow documentation and formats technical publications from pamphlets, technical drawings, and consultations with technicalpersonnel and other available resources
- Writes technical copies for various types of documents for a program/project .
- Applies concepts for technical writing based on engineering drawings, technical information from engineering documentation, consultations with engineers and subject matter experts, and other
available sources. May produce defense acquisition documentation, user manuals, training manuals, and other documentation utilized by the end-user community of DoD electronic equipment and systems.
Desirable Skills / Experience:
- Collaborates with Technical Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to interpret and document engineering and maintenance drawings, operational procedures to understand and blend large quantities of computer related information.
- Researches highly technical subject matter, organize information from multiples sources, and express technical information in written form that is comprehensible to a wide audience of readers.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices involved in technical research, writing, and editing
- Knowledge of and ability to use various word-processing and desktop publishing software applications
- Knowledge of the organization’s products and services, customer requirements, purpose and structure of required documentation, and end user’s level of understanding
- Effective communications skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
o Skills and Tasks. Exceptionally Complex - researches and evaluates new concepts and processes to improve performance.. Assists more junior level technicians, specialists, and managers in their activities. Can perform all tasks of lower level technicians, specialists, and/or managers.
o Leadership/Management. Works individually, actively participates on integrated teams, and leads multiple tasks, projects or teams. Oversees and monitors performance, and when required, takes steps to resolve issues.
o Guidance.. Provides guidance and direction to lower level technicians, specialists, and managers.
o Training and Certifications.
o Capabilities and additional Requirements. In addition to Standard Characteristics of Labor Category, work independently or lead teams preparing and maintaining highly complex systems, programming and operations documentation, procedures and methods. Provide expert oversight
of technical writing and editing to all phases of acquisition and technical documentation for the Program, Project, or Contract. Act as project leader for projects with complex or voluminous documentation and may provide or coordinate special documentation services as required.
Certified Professional Technical Communicator and ITIL 2011
Candidates must be willing and able to attain a CI Polygraph for certain positions as determined by the contract
Travel may be required in support of the customer's misison
High School diploma/GED with 10-years of related experience, or Associate's degree with 8-years of experience, Bachelor's degree with 6-years of experience, or Master’s degree with 4-years of experience
5-8 years of related experience preparing and editing technical documentation.
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class. #isdcj #dpost