DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC SECURITY
Providing Opportunity, Assistance and Care for Arizonans in need!
ARIZONA MANAGEMENT SYSTEM:
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government, whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative, and embrace a culture of public service.
ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST 1
Division of Business and Finance
1789 W. Jefferson St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007
The Accounting Specialist 1 reviews, analyzes, and verifies vendor and provider statements and invoices, and creates the fiscal transaction using the applicable automated accounting system.
- Perform routine accounting tasks involving basic numeric calculations for assigned fiscal management section
- Apply accounting principles and practices used within the Administration
- Gather, compile, and reconcile fiscal data
- Examine and verify fiscal transactions such as, billing invoices, accounts receivable/ accounts payable or other financial documents
- Maintain records, prepare reports summarizing financial transactions, and complete journal entries
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
- Principles, concepts, practices, methods, and techniques of government accounting and fiscal management
- Rules and regulations established for the work system or DES
- Methods and techniques of data processing as related to accounting practices
- Fundamental principles of accounting and general fiscal and financial record keeping practices
- Basic math, data entry, analysis and interpretation of financial data, and report preparation
- Verbal and written communication, customer service, and maintaining positive interpersonal relationships
- Effective time management
- Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access
- Research, compile, analyze and interpret fiscal and statistical information
- Prioritize tasks efficiently
- Maintain and reconcile records and reports
- Effectively communicate findings to management verbally and in writing
One year of accounting experience.
This position will require the possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver's license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver's license record checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
The Department of Economic Security offers a comprehensive benefits package to include:
- Sick leave
- Vacation with 10 paid holidays per year
- Health and dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Optional employee benefits include short-term disability insurance, deferred compensation plans, and supplemental life insurance
Positions in this classification participate in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
Please note, enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Patricia Beasley at [email protected] or 602-542-8904 for assistance.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-364-3981. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.