Provide a knowledgeable and welcoming environment to Arboretum visitors and callers. Answer visitor inquiries, and perform retail transactions.
- Provide friendly and welcoming customer service and accurately communicate Arboretum activities and policies. Ensure that visitor and member needs are met in a timely and friendly manner, including following-up and resolving customer issues.
- Process retail transactions in person and in a call center environment, using point-of-sale, e-commerce, and registration software, including event ticket sales, membership sales, and stroller rentals.
- Ensure that the work area is kept well-stocked and neat. Assist with stocking and organizing materials as needed.
- Maintain excellent communication with both internal and external parties (supervisors, coworkers, volunteers, members, vendors, etc). Provide timely information to other Arboretum staff regarding customer interactions, comments, and suggestions. Attend regular training sessions.
- Work Gatehouse shifts, outdoors, as needed in peak season and in support of special events.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma required. 2+ years in customer service required. Must be reliable and service oriented. Must be comfortable with technology and have experience using computers, a computerized point-of-sale system, and a multi-line phone. Must be energized by public contact and possess an outgoing, friendly, courteous, and enthusiastic personality. Must present professional image to the public by following the Arboretum/Visitor Services dress code. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google applications beneficial.
Customer service oriented individual who is able to relate effectively with people of various backgrounds and ages. Ability to be self-motivated, take charge/empowered personality. A willingness to continually learn about the Arboretum programs and mission. Ability to knowledgeably communicate information on programs, collections, and facilities of The Morton Arboretum.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity: limited lifting and carrying (up to 40 lbs.), with prolonged periods of standing and walking.
- Work Environment: Work is performed in a combined indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Equipment: General office equipment, charge card terminal, VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) telephone, two-way radio, and computerized point-of-sale, registration, and e-commerce systems.
- Schedule: Season runs from September 25, 2018 through January 1, 2019. Evening, holiday, and weekend hours are required. May be asked to shorten or lengthen hours, based on organization needs. Pre-season hours may be available for those able to start in July or August based on Arboretum need.
July until September 23, 2018 (pre-season option)
Work hours scheduled between the hours of 9:30 am and 5:30 pm, daily. Scheduling based on need.
September 24 until November 15, 2018
Work hours scheduled between the hours of 9:30 am and 5:00 pm, daily.
November 16, 2018 until January 1, 2019
Work hours scheduled between the hours of 9:30 am and 9:30 pm, daily. During this time frame, there will be a daytime shift and a separate evening shift. Start time for the evening shift is 3:30pm.
No work hours will be scheduled on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.
- Availability requirements may change due to need.
For full consideration, please include resume and cover letter with application.
The Morton Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse workforce.