The GIS Coordinator requires a broad range of management, business and technical skills to guide the successful implementation of the City's enterprise GIS. The GIS Coordinator has overall responsibility for ensuring that key GIS elements – hardware, software, networks, databases and staff resources – are managed, maintained and enhanced to meet agreed-upon City requirements.
- Supervise the creation and maintenance of the City GIS database and coordinate related tasks at the City, including acquiring data, data maintenance, SQL backups, GIS hardware and software.
- Assist I.T. Manager and I.T. Systems Administrator with maintenance of the network as it relates to GIS and/or SQL servers. Assist in making recommendations related to GIS- and/or SQL-related infrastructure needs and strategic planning.
- Assist department leadership in creating City Enterprise-wide GIS work plan goals.
- Work with supervisors to provide work direction, training and motivation of GIS personnel in other departments.
- Coordinate with I.T. professionals within and outside the City to keep the GIS hardware, software and network in efficient operating condition and provide technical assistance.
- Organize and advise GIS users at all levels of training activities, including leading regular GIS user group meetings.
- Evaluate the GIS environment and make recommendations for equipment, hardware and software upgrades and new developments in technology.
- Meet with City staff to assess GIS needs, take part in GIS technology-related discussions and assist various City staff to implement and meet those needs.
- Coordinate with City staff in City-wide project identification and work direction.
- Provide oversight of GIS-related initiatives.
- Assist department leadership in areas pertaining to the GIS and Capital Improvement Plan and evaluate and administer purchases within the approved budget.
- Act as City GIS contact for groups outside the City, including MnGeo, Hennepin County, LOGIS and Metropolitan Council.Act as GIS contact person for the City's I.T. Division.
- Develop work simplification techniques, confer with users to obtain information and to maintain or modify existing project files or begin new ones, and perform computer-related work as required.
- Work with consultants, other government agencies and City employees on GIS-related City projects.Supply and receive GIS data to/from consultants, other government agencies, and City employees.
- Implement necessary hardware and software installation for GIS applications and related technologies.
- Determine the cause of software and hardware problems and coordinate adjustments and repairs.
- Assist with the coordination of activities with vendors and I.T. staff for GIS and GIS databases.
- Install, configure and maintain all MS-SQL databases.
- Configure SQL backups/maintenance plans, ensuring they are completing successfully.
- Perform all tasks to maximize performance on all databases.
- Coordinate and manage activities related to GIS work station and computer software and hardware.
The job requires a bachelor's degree in Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Computer Science, Earth Science, Engineering, Planning or related discipline and a minimum of three years of experience in GIS project management and two years of experience in GIS development and maintenance, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Also experience with ESRI's ArcGIS Suite of products in a Windows enviornment.
A valid driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility is also required to transport equipment and provide assistance at various City facilities.
A master's degree in Geographic Information Systems or Geography and supervisory experience is preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $31.66 to $39.58 /hour