PSE Mission Statement
To improve the lives of members and their families; empowering them to have a greater impact on their communities and the next generation.
General Job Description
This is a highly responsible membership position that builds union power through member development, retention, recruitment, and mobilizing around issues. Enforces organizational standards and structures that grow the number of engaged members in union efforts and enhances PSE’s participation in the movement for social and economic justice and the member experience. Leverages technology to create and develop systems and processes that allow members to actively participate and strengthen their union.
Promotes and works toward the accomplishment of PSE’s mission within the parameters of the adopted values and policies and procedures.
The position identifies and develops members to create strong chapter structures. Works with leaders to develop, implement, and monitor effective member based new hire programs. Is an integral member of a service team, which includes but is not limited to Field, Membership, and Communications staff to develop effective future chapter leaders consistent with organization chapter and leadership standards.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Works directly with member leadership to deliver the highest quality service to all represented employees and promote union power and member experience.
- Consistently exercises independent judgment and discretion in dealing with a variety of issues affecting members.
- Provides expertise and guidance to management and staff in formulating goals, objectives, and operating procedures within the parameters of state and local bylaws to enhance member experience.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, and developing PSE’s membership.
- Will assist in the development and deliverance of education and training programs curriculum, approved by the Education and Training Manager.
- Responsible for collaborating with field representative in bargaining union membership priorities.
- Has a regular presence in the workplace as needed to achieve results.
- Refers members to appropriate field staff on job-related issues including grievances, disciplinary matters and other situations involving wages, hours and working condition disputes.
Requirements of the Position
- Demonstrated knowledge of labor organizations, labor law and contemporary labor relations trends, issues and practices.
- Knowledge of the public education system, education issues, and the role classified school employees play in the education system, preferred.
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree/BA in labor relations, or related field required. Experience may substitute for education requirements.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to listen effectively and be responsive.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, independent decision-making and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting the ability to work well with diverse populations in a variety of settings and circumstances.
- The ability to produce high quality work through planned, organized and systematic work habits.
- Minimum of five years leader or staff development experience preferred.
- Skill in analyzing large data sets and reporting information gleaned from one or more data set.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel required.
- Experience working with smart technology, including but not limited to social media and leading software systems such as Microsoft Office 365. Experience with relational data systems preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to apply creativity, innovation, and flexibility in pursuit of quality membership programs and services.
- The ability to work well under pressure, changing and unexpected conditions, and meet deadlines.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to personal and organizational ethics and values.
- Possession of valid Washington operator’s license and willingness to use personal vehicle in course of employment.
- Ability to work periodic evening hours, periodic weekend hours, and extensive travel to conduct PSE business.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $47,545.00 to $70,053.00 /year
- leader or staff development: 5 years
- valid Washington State Driver's Licence