Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
Maintains the integrity of all surgical and cytological specimens to aid in the Pathologist's diagnosis of disease.
1. Accurately registers & accessions specimens, verifies patient ID & physician demographics, clinical information &
pertinent history to ensure accurate information for testing & billing.
2. Process specimens in compliance with all applicable procedures & protocols observing all safety & OSHA standards.
3. Performs daily section set up to ensure each area is operational & that all areas are clean & in working order.
Precise maintenance & quality control of instruments is performed & documented.
4. Perform equipment maintenance as needed to include changing/preparing stain solutions, performing scheduled
equipment cleaning, troubleshooting, etc.
5. Assist cytotechnologist in various OR procedures, such as EBUS & EUS by performing STAT stains for quick
analysis when applicable.
6. Prepare specimens utilizing various concentration techniques & staining protocols to ensure the best possible
smears. Reprocess samples initially identified as unacceptable to enhance TAT & customer satisfaction.
7. Separates & delivers aliquots of samples when needed to the appropriate section for additional testing.
8. Communicates with physicians' offices & clinics, handling requests for information & or supplies.
9. Performs clerical tasks as needed including computer data entry, faxing reports, compiling statistics, answering
phones, & filing slides & or blocks & requisitions accurately.
10. Maintains inventory of supplies, placing orders when needed to ensure uninterrupted workflow & avoiding costly
11. Compiles slides reports & patient release forms for outgoing consults, expediting patient diagnosis. Collects & or
retrieves slides for pathology resident review & tumor boards.
12. Achieves the organizations established expectations regarding quality of service, teamwork, customer service,
safety, education, & staff development.
This position requires a minimum formal education of High School Diploma and one year job-related experience.
Associate's Degree preferred.
Location: Norwalk-34 Maple St
Work Type: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day 8
Work Shift: 7a-6p, 8 hour shifts
Org Unit: 361
Department: Pathology Anatomic
- HS Graduate or Equivalent
- Significant manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
- Some occupational risk
- Very Heavy effort. May exert up to 50 lbs. force
- Significant exposure to dirt, odor, noise, human waste, etc.
Nuvance Health and its affiliates are Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations and therefore eligible employees may qualify for forgiveness of certain federal student loans under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
Job Type: Full-time