Policy and Operations Research
Social Services, Energy and Sustainability
One (1) Analyst / Senior Analyst
The Mayor’s Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is the City government's chief financial agency. OMB's staff of analysts and experts assembles and oversees the Mayor’s expense and capital budgets, which fund the services and activities of approximately 70 City agencies.
OMB’s Policy and Operations Research Task Force is primarily responsible for analyzing the fiscal and economic implications of the City’s policy initiatives and evaluating City agencies’ operations and programs, as well as conducting ad-hoc quantitative analysis. The Task Force’s Social Services, Energy and Sustainability Unit carries out special projects and program evaluation in the aforementioned policy areas.
The duties of this position include the following:
- Apply economic and statistical techniques to develop, shape, and evaluate City policies.
- Provide research and analytical support, data analysis, and draft documents and presentations related to the Task Force’s projects.
- Work with large datasets and administrative data.
- Provide support to the Tax Policy, Forecasting, and Economic Analysis Task Force.
- Manage projects from inception to final deliverables, with increasing autonomy according to placement title.
- Maintain excellent work relationships with other OMB task forces and City agencies.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college.
- Proficiency in economic, statistical, and econometric analysis and program evaluation.
- Must possess knowledge of statistical software, (e.g., Stata, R, SAS etc.) and strong computer technology skills and the ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to process, analyze, and present information clearly and effectively.
- Exceptional attention to detail, as well as organizational and research skills.
- Collaborative and team-oriented and have the ability to work on different topics.
- Ability to work calmly and proficiently under pressure and to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Public Policy Analysis/Administration, or a subject related to the specific assignment and a minimum of two years responsible budgetary planning/management, financial analysis, public policy analysis/administration or a related field; or an awarded Master's degree in Financial Management, Business, Public Administration or a field related to the specific assignment.
Senior Analyst ($68,244):
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years of full-time experience in budgetary planning/management, financial analysis, public policy analysis or a related field, or an awarded Master's degree in Business, Public Policy Administration, Finance, Economics, or related field, and one year of relevant experience.
Eligibility to Apply:
An OMB employee who has been in his or her current position for at least one year is eligible to apply for this position. In addition, an OMB employee that has been in his or her current position for less than one year may apply to be considered for a lateral transfer.
For City employees, please go to Employee Self Service (ESS), click on Recruiting Activities > Careers, and search for the Job ID # indicated above.
For all other applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search for the Job ID # indicated above.
If you don’t have access to a computer, please mail your resume indicating the Job ID # indicated above to:
NYC Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Recruitment Office
255 Greenwich Street - 8th Floor
New York, NY 10007
The Mayor’s Office of Management and Budget and the City of New York are Equal Opportunity Employers.
You must be a City resident within 90 days of the date of appointment and you must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW; ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.
255 Greenwich Street
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.