Big R is a premier farm, outdoors, and home retailer committed to outfitting every customer with the gear they need to live the life they want. We are equally committed to making sure our team is supported in doing their best work and living the life theywant. Our people are independent spirits who seek challenges, thrive on creating effective solutions, and revel in new ideas. To put it simply, we enjoy the heck out of our work and our stellar colleagues. If the sound of that makes your heart beat a little faster and piques your sense of adventure, send us your resumé!
Position: Farm & Automotive Category Manager
What That Means
The Category Manager is responsible for driving the departmental buying strategy, including product selection, product profitability, procurement, and all facets of the supplier relationship. In addition, you would get to work across our departments, collaborating with marketing, store operations, and inventory to get the job done.
What You Would Be Doing
- You know the ins and out of the biz, always: researching industry trends, developing competitive analysis, and interpreting business analytics.
- With all that knowledge, you’d be developing assortment and store merchandising strategies.
- You close deals: Lead negotiations to clinch the lowest acquisition cost.
- Speaking of cost, you’d also manage and align budgets to company goals and objectives.
- All that strategy means you’re instrumental to our marketing department, helping to deploy marketing strategies and executing the ad process.
- Help develop the purchasing strategy that will drive and maximize inventory productivity.
- Developing all retail pricing and maximizing department profitability.
- You’re a steward of the lifecycle: Managing products through all stages, from item setup to final markdown.
- Collaborating with internal teams to develop and deliver top-quality customer experience, sales, and margin-growth strategies.
- Then you have to tell us about it all: Reporting about all kinds of things, on an ad hoc basis.
What You Need to Qualify
- Bachelor’s degree in merchandising, business or related field—or equivalent work experience.
- You need four or more years of merchandising experience, farm and/or automotive experience highly preferred.
- Open or flexible to travel and an ability to lift product samples up to 25 pounds.
- Your organizational skills are second to none (move over, Marie Kondo), and you’re a stickler for details.
- You usually have things done, like, yesterday and have already followed up.
- Even in a sea of change, you maintain outstanding communication skills and never hesitate to jump in and solve a problem.
- You’ll really excel in this role if you’re a self-starter, strategic, committed yet flexible, and results-driven.
- You’ll want to have a successful track record of managing category business and internal/external relationships.
- You’re excited by building something new.
Job Type: Full-time
- retail farm or automotive channel: 3 years (Preferred)
- Category Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Employee discounts