This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under Announcement 19-HUD-1186. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
As a Supervisory Housing Program Specialist , you will:
- Oversee the day-to-day management and operations of the Homeownership Center (HOC) with regard to activities within the assigned geographical area. The position is primarily responsible for the overall delivery of the Single Family Housing programs of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Housing within the geographical jurisdiction of the Homeownership Center. Serve as the liaison with the Regional Directors, Field Office Directors, Public Affairs Office, Congressional Relations, and City Officials and with FHA customers, Congress and lending professionals.
- Direct the supervisory staff who manage the professional, technical and clerical staff required for the production and risk/asset management of Single Family Housing programs, including but not limited to loan production, asset management, disposition of real estate owned properties, new initiatives, initial project planning, technical processing phases, customer service, quality assurance. Conduct reviews of field offices and HOC customer service.
- Serve as the hearing officer on LPD cases, which includes advising the individual or non-profit organization of the nature of the hearing; assessing the validity of evidence for and against the individual or non-profit in light of HUD policies and procedures; making a determination as to whether the hearing has exhausted all opportunities to garner facts and arguments relevant to the case and conclude the hearing; and making a timely final decision as to the imposition of an LDP or suspension of a non-profit organization, appraisers, etc.
- Within the prescribed policies, procedures, rule and regulations, direct the personnel management activities which affect the Homeownership Center's employees, including those activities related to selection; assignments, performance appraisal, promotions, awards, training, etc; assures actions are taken to reward good performance and to correct poor performance; initiates disciplinary procedures when necessary; supports and promotes equal employment opportunity, cultural diversity and affirmative action activities.
Occasional travel - Periodic, infrequent travel required.
Job family (Series)
1101 General Business And Industry
Conditions of Employment
Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
The incumbent serves as the Associate Director to the Homeownership Center and serves as the alter ego to the Director in the management and operation of the Homeownership Center. Incumbent has responsibility for the management, administrative and technical direction of the Center and is fully accountable for all aspects of the activities and functions assigned and the efficient operation of the Center.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience is one year of experience at the GS-14 level, or equivalent that has equipped you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience includes:
Experience developing management strategies, policies, procedures, and practices developed to improve the overall financial management of an organization.
Examples of such experience could include:
- Programmatic or administrative management experience as a director, deputy director or equivalent of a lending financial institution, real estate entity with responsibility for lending audit, oversight, compliance, quality control or quality assurance of funding and service delivery; OR
- Communicating verbally and in writing, the agency programs and technical requirements to top level executives and management staff, employees, and the general public to address and resolve housing program issues.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Recruitment incentive may be offered.
- Student loan repayment may be available through the Department.
- HUD offers alternative and flexible work schedules.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- A one year supervisory or managerial probationary period may be required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Public Trust – Background Investigation will be required.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
HUD employees are subject to a number of government-wide and HUD specific ethics laws and regulations, including restrictions on outside employment. To review applicable ethics rules, please visit https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/general_counsel/ethics
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Specialized Experience, Organizational Awareness, Managerial and Communication Skills. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories: Best Qualified , Better Qualified , and Qualified (Good) depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category.
Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP )) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A resume, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a resume either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION:
If you are claiming veterans preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide .
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Location Affordability Portal (LAP):
The LAP provides estimates of household housing and transportation costs at the neighborhood level to help make more informed decisions about where to live, work, and invest.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.