Sign In or Create Account
Use Facebook or Google to sign in or register with SimplyHired.
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
The Medication Tech is responsible for all duties in relation to safely administering medications and treatments to the residents. This position requires legible, accurate documentation on the medication record and in the resident chart. It also requires a responsible demeanor in order for the resident population to have confidence in your ability to administer medications and treatments. At times the position will include manager on duty qualifications and a responsibility to act within your scope of practice. If ever unsure of a decision or an occurrence, it is critical for you to call for management assistance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains the community’s philosophy.
2. Is knowledgeable of policies and procedures.
3. Understands and appropriately documents on the 24 hour communication reports.
4. Understands the resident alert status and documents appropriately in the residents record.
5. Understands and implements an interim service plan, in the absence of Resident Care Coordinator/Health Services Director (HSD), as care needs arise.
6. Assures caregivers on shift are aware of changes on interim service plans.
7. Assures there is adequate staff scheduled on shift.
8. Notify Executive Director/Resident Care Coordinator when there is not enough staff scheduled.
9. Good communication skills are required.
10. Assists residents with transportation and appointments as needed.
11. Maintains confidentiality with resident and fellow employee’s information.
12. Notifies Resident Care Coordinator /Executive Director/HSD of resident changes of condition.
13. Assists with monthly medication records as needed.
14. Assists with cycle fill or re-ordering of medications.
15. Understands and returns medications for credit as needed.
16. Monitors medications that arrive from the pharmacy.
17. Timely notifies the pharmacy of any discrepancies
18. Maintains the cleanliness and organization of the Medication room.
19. Maintains the cleanliness, organization and re-stocking of the Medication cart.
20. Orders supplies as directed by the Resident Care Coordinator.
21. Has knowledge of, and can demonstrate proper technique, or can learn how to assist with: a gait belt, sit to stand lift, transfer board, oxygen equipment, C-Pap, Nebulizer, catheter, specimen, transfer pole, trapeze, wheel chair, scale, and other equipment as directed by the Resident Care Coordinator/HSD.
22. Capable of taking accurate vital signs and weights.
23. Accurately completes an incident report and begins the investigation of the incident.
24. Accurately completes a medication error report if necessary.
25. Notifies family, MD, resident and management if incident or errors occur while on shift.
26. General record keeping and filing as needed.
27. Administers the medications and treatments, according to the scheduled times, following the medication administration protocol.
28. Adheres to dress code.
29. Fill-in for the receptionist as directed by Executive Director/Resident Care Coordinator.
30. Fill in for a caregiver when needed.
31. Capable of assisting in care needs of residents, which might include lifting requirements up to 40 pounds.
32. Serves meals as needed.
33. Assists with meal clean up and setting of tables as assigned.
34. Faxes pharmacy to order medications.
35. Faxes physician as care needs arise or as instructed by Executive Director/HSD/Resident Care Coordinator.
36. Calls pharmacy to follow up on medications that have not arrived.
37. Notifies physician when pre-authorizations are required or medications not covered by insurance.
38. Answers call lights or find a coworker to answer a call light, if in the middle of a med pass.
39. Work as manager on duty as directed by Executive Director/Resident Care Coordinator.
40. Keep current on First Aide/CPR and Medication Administration skills.
41. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or other management staff.
1. Read the 24 hour communication book and respond as necessary to issues.
2. Review all incident reports and residents on alert status
3. Read any new interim service plans that could have been initiated.
4. Assure appropriate amount of staff are available and on shift
5. Assist with finding replacements when staff call off and you are on duty
6. Provide the residents with their medications and treatments as per protocol
7. Document issues in the resident record
8. Notify RCC/HSD/ED as needed when issues arise
1. Other job duties as assigned by HSD/RCC
2. Check schedules for any changes
3. Maintain Medication room supplies
1. Attend and participate in the scheduled mandatory in-services
2. Attend and participate in other scheduled meetings (Safety, Quality Assurance)
* Exposure to blood/body fluid likely
* Must be able to easily lift and carry 50 lbs. Must be able to stand, walk, stoop and/or bend for periods of up to eight hours with breaks as provided for in the employee handbook.
* Has familiarity and willingness to work with elderly population. Previous experience preferred, but not necessary.
* High school graduate preferred. Preferred proficiency in English. Attends in-services monthly required for position. Receives and maintains CPR certification.
Job Type: Full-time