We’re changing the world. Let us start with yours.
First Solar’s engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) team is looking for candidates who believe in our mission of providing cost-advantaged solar technology through innovation, customer engagement, industry leadership and operational excellence. Our team strives to design and safely build photovoltaic (PV) power and storage systems that we, and the communities they are located in, can be proud of for decades to come.
The EPC team is looking for individuals that want to be at the forefront of leading change in PV systems including our industry leading accomplishment of continuously reducing the cost of solar power through innovation in both systems design and safe execution. Ideal candidates will constantly challenge and change their own assumptions and ideas and, through collaboration, allow us to continually improve on our reliable designs and safe execution. In return, our team will provide a supportive, fast-paced work environment where our associates are encouraged to take ambiguous and uncertain problems and then generate and integrate new ideas to help design and build the PV systems to help us lead the world’s sustainable energy future.
Basic Job Functions:
The International Project Commissioning Manager applies business technical expertise and project leadership to support all commissioning activities and supervision of commissioning activities for First Solar’s (FS) International projects. The candidate will interface with Project Management, Engineering, Construction, Subcontractors, Operations and Management, and Clients to direct the commissioning of projects following First Solar practices, at all FS plants worldwide.
- Minimum 8 years of Electrical Project work experience
- 5 years Utility/PV Power Commissioning & Testing
- 5 years of SCADA systems experience
- PV system design, operation and related power generation knowledge, required
- Safety knowledge OSHA & NFPA and those applicable in foreign countries
- Understanding of PV construction and PV Plant Performanace anlaysis
- Demonstrated experience in project management and commissioning for PV systems upto 500MW; experience in contract negotiation, project development, project execution and client interaction
- Possess detailed knowledge of international industry electrical and commissioning standards and be able to communicate effectively with clients, subcontractors, and various groups within the company
- Engineering Degree (Electrical preferred), required
- Commissioning & Electrical Standards (IEEE, IEC, ANSI, NEC, NERC), required
- Project Management & Six Sigma Training/Certifications, preferred
- Safety and NFPA 70E Certifications, preferred
- OSHA 10 Certification or similar, preferred
- Foreign language skills, a plus
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Ability to direct, identify problems, develop solutions, and conduct analysis independently and in collaboration with others
- Possesses the ability to think critically and solve potential issues, during negotiation and execution of scope
- Independent self starter willing to undertake responsibility for delivering on company/departmental commitments, deliverables, and offerings providing turnkey service
- Proven leadership skills in challenging environments
- Ability to develop and work within a defined budget
- Ability to work comfortably in potentially remote field conditions and manage multiple tasks and projects
- Knowledge of SCADA systems and telecommunication standards
- Proficient use of all Microsoft Office Suite programs including Project
- Manage startup and commissioning requirements on multiple projects of various sizes and locations while developing and maintaining key relationships with Utilities, Owners, Operators, Consulting Engineers and Subcontractors Work with Business Development and Project Management to support and execute the projects in compliance with required safety and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for developing and managing commissioning contracts with FS Business Development and interfacing with Clients at early contract stage to advise and support on commissioning offerings, schedule, budget and deliverables; Negotiate and support contract development and execution with Clients, as required
- Translate technical issues and remediation plans to high level reports for senior level clients and managerial staff
- Partner with Project Management, Construction, Engineering and internal departments on status, execution and resolution of all related project execution requirements
- Understand potential constraints from a project development stand point and be capable of developing workarounds from all cross functional teams
- Review engineering designs of PV power plants to ensure site and component level commissionability on behalf of the Commissioning & Testing and Operations groups.
- Generate and review execution of testing plans and procedures that are related to the commissioning of the multiple projects
- Update project team and management on potential issues that may arise during the project lifecycle
- Provide on-site technical and operational support in the installation and testing of electrical equipment and systems
- Develop and deliver high level reports covering project status and activity
- Execute, maintain and enforce FS Safety Procedures and Protocols
- Address and prioritize day-to-day operational activities, including
support and management of field resources on testing, inspections, trouble shooting, operational review and analysis
Project Site (non-craft) Requirements:
- Manage the development and execution of test protocols, review of operation and maintenance records, witness of system and equipment tests
- Provide technical support to the Project Commissioning teams and Data Acquisition Systems group, as needed
- Local and International travel will be required
- Other duties as assigned
- Job Description is subject to change at any time
Office Physical Requirements:
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
All positions in our office require interaction with people and technology while either standing or sitting. In order to best service our customers, internal and external, all associates must be able to communicate face-to-face and on the phone with or without reasonable accommodation. First Solar is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, it attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
First Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.