Under administrative direction, to assist in the overall responsibility for the management and daily operation of the building, including facilities maintenance, tenant services, custodial and security services; to direct the operations of personnel and finance to include administrative and support functions relating to budget, personnel, purchasing, policies and procedures; to provide coverage as the 24 hour, 7 day a week on call emergency contact person; and to perform related duties as assigned.
If an Internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with personnel rules, i.e. promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction.
All interested applicants must meet the minimum qualifications for this exam by
August 21, 2018.
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list of job descriptions.
Examples of Work Performed
1. Promote a diverse, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
2. Function as the primary customer service representative in the facilities and is the main liaison between the tenant organizations and Property Management administration.
3. Supervise and oversee the day-to-day operation, maintenance and repair of County facilities and grounds implementing energy efficiency initiatives and ADA accessibility requirements.
4. Supervise the personnel and budget activities by delegating duties, directing work flow, instructing staff and inspecting work assignments; participate in decisions regarding the hiring, evaluation and discipline of staff.
5. Supervise the monitoring, training, operations, maintenance and repair of critical building systems including: backup generators, electrical distribution systems, uninterruptible power supply systems, security and closed television systems.
6. Supervise the general operation, maintenance, and repair of buildings and components of its major systems, such as HVA, plumbing, electrical, security and fire alarms, exterior building envelope, and ground; assist in the establishment and implementations of schedules to maintain these systems.
7. Supervise exterior maintenance programs including ground care, landscaping, snow removal, parking lots, and site access and safety issues.
8. Supervise routine maintenance and repair and operating and capital projects in the facilities. 9. Under administrative direction, respond to and coordinate emergency repairs and requests. 10. Maintain project records; inspects work for compliance and contract specifications and applicable building/safety codes.
11. Manage service contracts appropriate to the facilities including the preparation of vendors performance reports and the coordination of contract/bid specifications with the Property Management Administration.
12. Under administrative directions, develop the facilities annual budgets by analyzing past experience and projecting future needs; monitor the facilities budget to see that revenues and expenditures remain within the limits of the approved budget; authorize payments to various vendors and County agents; authorize budget adjustments as required; participate in decisions regarding the authorization and purchase of supplies, furniture and equipment.
13. Under administrative direction, develop the facilities asset preservation plan including CCAMPP, 20-year, 6 year, and 1-year plans.
14. Maintain and ensure the accuracy of all payroll and personnel records.
15. Assist in delivering custodial and maintenance services within an assigned location; develop and monitor service levels working closely with building tenants and staff to meet special needs within the facility; evaluate and recommend implementation of cost effective and efficient methodology based on best practices in the industry and in the interest of the County.
16. Responsible for ensuring the safety and security of employees and visitors at assigned facilities; monitor and enforce the internal safety procedures and compliance with OSHA, building codes and other applicable laws and regulations.
17. Assist in the communication of the Department's vision statement, mission statement, policies and procedures to staff and contracted personnel. Work closely with subordinate supervisor, staff to skilled union work force to ensure positive labor relations are pursued; monitor subordinate interpretations of bargaining contracts to maintain consistent labor practices; participate on grievance hearings as needed.
18. Administer performance appraisal for staff, establish performance goals and provide constructive feedback. Review performance of staff and/or contracted personnel to assure performance, compliance and cost effectiveness.
19. Assist in the planning of space utilization and layout and coordinate the repair, construction, relocation, and remolding of office space in order to meet building occupant needs.
20. Supervisor regulatory compliance in testing and maintain mechanical, electrical and life safety systems within the facilities; develop emergency and life safety procedures and plans; implement and monitor ongoing life safety training for staff and tenants.
21. Analyze reports and data generated by the automated maintenance system to identify problems, trends and process improvement as needed.
22. Maintain open communication with tenants to ensure their needs and expectation are met by evaluating and implementing cost effective and efficient methodology based on best practices in the industry.
23. Review the performance if contract workers to assure performance and compliance and cost effectiveness. (The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this work and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required.) Essential Functions: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent and completion of a two year vocational certificate in HVACR, Building/Systems or related field or completion of a nationally recognized facility management program (IFMA or BOMA).
Experience: Five years of experience in the operations, maintenance, and repair of buildings, building mechanical systems and grounds; including three years experience as a Mechanical Maintenance Manager or equivalent.
Experience must also include at least one year of supervisory/management experience.
Substitution: Experience beyond the minimum may be substituted for education on a year for year basis.
Certifications/Licensure: Must have and maintain a valid driver's license.
Exam/Screening Process Information
Examination/Screening Process: The examination/screening process will consist of the following sections with each section weighted as indicated:
Training and Experience Rating........Wt. 100%
Note: The Training and Experience Rating will be based on the Supplemental Questionnaire that you need to complete as part of your application. Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will pass the Training and Experience Rating. Please be sure to be complete in your answers and do not mark "see resume" or "see work history." Failure to clearly and completely outline your training and experience could adversely affect your examination score and rank on the eligible list for this classification.
Examination/Screening Process: The examination for Building Services Manager will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire. The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on the answers provided. A candidate must pass the training and experience rating in order to be advanced in the process.
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who pass the examination/screening process and file a properly completed application shall be placed on the eligible list for employment as an This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to fill a vacancy. Building Services Manager Candidates will remain on the list for three months or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list.
Veteran's Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran's Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran's preference should update their veteran's DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.