The Cost Estimator and Operational Excellence manager role is critical to Baxter’s Purchasing and Supplier Management (PSM) organization and reports to the Supplier Development Engineering and Operational Excellence department. This role supports key aspects of Baxter’s strategic sourcing, category management, supplier relationship management, and supplier excellence processes. This role will develop cost models, tools, and material estimates; continuously improve Baxter’s cost estimating processes; execute VA/VE workshops; deploy Baxter’s supplier excellence program to improve supplier cost, quality and/or delivery; and drive key strategic initiatives.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to estimate costs with external suppliers and internal partners; analyze data gathered; develop / maintain cost models and cost estimating tools; support supplier negotiations and cost-savings initiatives
- Identify and quantify cost drivers, such as materials, production time, labor expenses, etc.; identify cost savings opportunities through the should-cost estimates and benchmarking; document supporting evidence to defend cost estimates
- Benchmark and analyze industry cost estimating best practices to optimize the work; simplify cost estimating processes to creates models that can be sustained; focus on ease of use to promote compliance and sustainable models; promote best practice sharing
- Resident SME on cost estimating system
- Lead/facilitate cost out workshops including VA/VE (value analysis and value engineering) events; lead/participate in kaizen workshops to optimize costs within supply chain
Operational Excellence / Supplier Excellence
- Deploy Supplier Excellence program globally: facilitate supplier selection; develop suppliers where Lean Six Sigma capability is lacking; facilitate supplier quality, delivery and/or cost improvement project selection; establish governance mechanism to ensure projects completed on schedule and budget; monitor improved metric results
- Work with internal and external supplier leadership to establish organizational supports for Supplier Excellence (reviews, communications, software, etc.).
- Coach / mentor supplier Green Belts; ensure formal internal / external coach is assigned to all improvement projects; schedule and deliver training, where necessary
- Cost estimating/modeling experience in manufacturing industry with subject matter expertise (SME) with cost modeling in at least one commodity spend area (e.g., packaging, molded parts, etc.).
- Ability to transfer cost modeling experience and knowledge to other purchased commodities; ability to teach buyers to build and maintain cost models
- Proven command of lean six sigma concepts and tools; experience coaching and mentoring Green Belts and/or other Black Belts; critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to execute supplier quality and cost improvement projects; ability to facilitate supplier kaizen events; strong supplier process capability and capacity assessment skills
- In-depth process knowledge of related manufacturing equipment/processes; working knowledge of manufacturing business acumen
- Collaborates effectively with cross-functional teams; executes with speed and sense of urgency while maintaining attention to detail;
simplifies complexity and challenges status quo
- Ability to influence and manage stakeholders at all levels across highly-matrixed organization; effectively drives decisions and accountability
- Global process ownership skills, such as, defining: process steps, roles/responsibilities, standard work tools, KPIs / metrics, governance mechanisms, technology usage, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to respond to detailed inquiries and present information to senior leaders; strong teaching, coaching and facilitating skills
- Effective project management skills with ability to deal with uncertainty and ambiguity; change management skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Willingness to work extended hours to achieve critical path deliverables, when necessary
- Ability to travel extensively (over 50%), when necessary
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in science / engineering, procurement / supply chain management, finance, business administration, or related field required
- MBA, MS or other technical graduate degree (preferred)
- Certified six sigma Black Belt with solid knowledge of Lean manufacturing and a minimum of 7 years of experience in engineering, purchasing / supply chain, finance, manufacturing, or related operations functional area / field
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated success developing cost models in manufacturing
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated success executing supplier improvement projects
Job Type: Full-time
- Cost estimating/modeling: 5 years (Required)
- supplier quality: 5 years (Required)
- Green Belt: 2 years (Preferred)